Chapter 1

Sunlight spilled through the leaves, creating a mosaic of shattered gold on the ground. However, the trees only lined the side of the dirt path and did not cover it. Thus, Yozora Tsukiyo was forced to travel underneath the swearing summer heat. It did not bother her, she'd be in worse situations by far, but it stayed in the back of her head, an annoyance, like a fly that wouldn't go away no matter how many times you swat at it.

The two guards at Konoha's gate were in a somewhat similar situation. Both looked like they were falling asleep, the I'm-gonna-fall-over-any-minute type. Tsukiyo smiled, it was nice to see some familiar faces, as much as she hate to admit it.

As she walked into the village, one of the guards lifted his eyes and glanced at her. Rendering her harmless, he went back to sleep, head drooping even lower. It disappointed her that she wasn't recognized, but that was only natural. 

Maybe because of the heat, Tsukiyo saw few as she walked down the street, toward the center of the village, the Hokage Building.

It feels too much like Suna, she thought lazily while shielding her eyes from the sun with a hand, trying to see how much more she would have to walk. In the process, she caught a familiar sign out of the corner of her eye.

The Dango Shop. The village's other gathering place besides Ichiraku's. She stopped, turned, and walked inside.

"We're not open until 9," the girl behind the counter called, one hand on a stack of checks, one hand on a calculator, not looking up.

Tsukiyo sighed, "I know, I know. But since it's almost 9, can I place a takeout order of a dozen dangos and a bowl of anmitsu?"

The girl finally looked up, but not to see who intruded in her shop. Her eyes landed on the clock, 8:55.

"Fine," she grumbled. "Pickup in 10. Don't be late"

Tsukiyo smiled "I won't," She promised.

It was a new start for her, and she's not going to mess up her first impression by being late.

The Hokage Building seemed far, but it was actually closer than Tsukiyo thought. Her steps were heavy as she walked up to the second floor, anticipating yet dreading at the same time. When she arrived, her knocks on the wooden door echoed louder than she expected. She hoped Sandaime Hokage wouldn't count it as rudeness, not that she cared. 

"Come in," a gruff voice called.

Tsukiyo opened the door, heart pounding, but hands surprisingly steady.

Nothing really changed since the last time she's been here. The pictures of the four Hokages lined the left wall, and Sandaime Hokage's desk looked like a tornado had swept through like, as usual.

"Sandaime Hokage-sama," Tsukiyo greeted while kneeling down, one kneed on the ground, one up, head staring straight below. The standard ANBU procedure. 

She heard him sigh. "Please get up, no need for such formalities, Yozora-san."

"Hai." She stood up, straight as an arrow, hands behind her back, eyes finally staring ahead, but not at Sandaime Hokage. She was staring over his shoulder, at the prosperous village out the window.

"I have some things for you." Two cream folders slid toward her, stopping at the edge of the table.

Tsukiyo picked up the one on the left first. The bold red letters on top nearly blinded her.

Reassignment of Yozora Tsukiyo to the the Head of Root ANBU

Tsukiyo wanted to laugh. With her identity as Danzo's only pupil and his acknowledgement of her abilities, she was already the head of Root ANBU in all but name. Yes Sandaime Hokage still had to make such a big deal out of this, as if he were the one who trusted her enough to place so much power in her hands. For what? So she would be grateful and loyal to him? Does he think her a fool?