Chapter 16

A/N: the first 2/3 of this chapter is Shisui's pov on his relationship with Tsukiyo. If you're not interested, skip down to the ---- (where the action really begins)

For Uchiha Shisui, Tsukiyo has always been special.

The first time they met was when he was assigned to her squad after her last teammate died. It was his first mission on the front lines, and he was nervous to say the least.

Although he had heard rumors about Yozora Tsukiyo, the genius of an ancient clan which he is compared to often, he never expected her to look so...carefree. In his opinion, the heir that needs to hold up such astounding legacy should look like Itachi, mature beyond his age, maybe having tear-troughs already.

But no, Tsukiyo, despite an appearance that was several years older, had an expression of someone who was young at heart. While waiting for him, she had a kunai dancing deftly between her fingers so fast that he could barely keep up even with his Sharingan.

As he got to know her, he realized that she wasn't just pretending to be unburdened for the sake of disappointing those who wished her ill, she actually didn't care about the Yozora clan.

This become quite prominent when they sat around a campfire on their 5th or 6th mission together, talking about their families.

Hizashi had a fight with his brother before they left the village, and he wanted advice on how to reform the Hyuga clan. Shisui had similar worries, but unlike how Hizashi focuses on bringing peace inside the clan, he wanted peace between the Uchihas and the village.

When they had ran out of things to say, an awkward silence fell. In their fiery discussion, both of them had forgot that Tsukiyo didn't have a clan anymore.

Thankfully, she didn't mind.

"Sucks to be you," she teased, "The Yozoras were all dumbasses, and I'm glad to be rid of those useless pricks."

Shisui stared at her with surprise. Everyone he knew came from a clan, big or small, and every single one of those people tied their own pride to that of the clans. It is the first time he heard someone openly ridiculing their own origins.

At that moment, Shisui finally started to see her, the real Tsukiyo. Not the arrogant prodigy that takes joy in the suffering of others, but the girl who most forgets is not even 10, yet climbs out of bed in the middle of the night to train. He saw the side of her that few knew, and it was almost like a secret garden of sorts.

As he spent more time observing her, he noticed that there was something...off. Her hair always grew faster, her clothing always renewed more frequently.

The rest of the story is all old news. She confided in him about her kekkei genkai, and he confided in her about his Mangekyo. Sharing information that neither has ever told anyone before brought them closer than they should be.

Those days were the easiest days of Shisui's life. With her, he didn't have to worry about anything. Hizashi usually had a plan for their mission, and they just had to carry out their perspective roles.

Even the troubles of the Uchiha clan seemed distant. Although the village has always been pushing the Uchihas out of power ever since the fall of the Senjus, they were in a war, the Konoha needed Uchihas, as Tsukiyo pointed out.

As long as Shisui doesn't expose his Mangekyo and the ludicrous abilities of Kotoamatsukami, Konoha would probably never do anything more to the Uchihas.

Then everything begun to fall apart.

First he was called back to the village in the name of a break, which is normal. He has been rotating between missions for more than two months now. But not two days after he returned, news came of Hizashi and Tsukiyo's encounter with Kiri's Seven Swordsmen and how Hizashi would never be a shinobi anymore.