Chapter 26

Chapter 27

Lydia POV

"May I get you a drink Mrs. Weathers?”

"No Lydia the umbrella is just fine for now. Honey I am going to go to the powder room. Follow me Lydia."

"Mrs. Weathers the powder room is the opposite direction." She didn't speak until we were far away from people.

"It's time for your first assignment Lydia. Money has been difficult lately and we cannot afford to lose this match. Much money has been put into this. Jake Dallas is riding his prized horse Indigo. I need you to feed her this.”

She pulled out a small bag of what looked like Oleander. I gasped.

"No, I can't.”

"It won't kill her. It will just be enough to keep her off her game. You do remember what is at stake here don't you.”

I began to cry. Why was she doing this? The thought of harming Jake in any way made my stomach revolt.

She clasped the bag in my hand and left me in a hurry. Despite what my heart was telling me I went to the stall where I knew Indigo would be.

"I'm sorry pretty girl."

When no one was looking I quickly fed her the leaves. She looked so happy, and I felt so guilty. I ran as fast as I could.

"Lydia stop squirming it will all be over soon.”

How could she be so calm? My arms gripped the chair. Jake came cantering out on Indigo. The match had begun. I don't think I breathed the whole time. I relaxed a little bit. It had been twenty minutes and she had yet to be affected by the Oleander.

Mrs. Weathers began to sweat. She was growing increasingly nervous. She wasn't composed or calm at all. Suddenly the crowd gasped in horror. I looked up to see Indigo fall to the ground. Jake was tossed forward. I watched in horror as Indigo fell directly on top of him.

I cried out. I wanted to run towards him.

"Lydia, stay right where you are.”

I wanted to wretch. The vet ran out into the field. Several men pulled Indigo off of Jake. They quickly carried Jake to a coach, in order to take him to the doctor.

The echoes of the horse's horrified screams chilled me to the bone. Everyone was to trouble to do a formal winners ceremony, but Mrs. Weathers waited no time in collecting her prize money. The Weathers made their way to their coach. My Jake was hurt because of me. How could I ever live with myself?

"Lydia get in the coach.”

I stared up at The Weathers. I couldn't go back now, not after this. I ran long and hard. I couldn't look back. I didn't know where I was going. My chest burned and my eyes pooled with tears. I gasped and choked on my own misery. I finally stopped when I reached a desolate farm road. I looked behind me.

It was if I was leaving that part of my life behind. I had killed my man's horse, and possibly him. I couldn't marry him if he survived. Call me crazy if you will. I wasn't going to check on Jake. Maybe that is crazy. Maybe one of these farms needed a hand or cook. I took off my dove necklace and set it in my pocket.

I followed in my mother’s footsteps before me and just ran.