Chapter 39

Chapter 41

Elizabeth’s POV

“Miss Clementine, you are being such a dear. No doubt it has been awhile since you planned a wedding. I'm so thankful you have been willing to help me.”

“Oh hush Elizabeth; you know I’m so delighted to do this.”

We walked arm and arm through the street. We moved with determination towards the bakery. I had always dreamed of what planning a wedding might be like, and now this daunting task was here at last.

“Have you sent out the invitations yet?”

“No.”

“Has Tim decided what location he would like for the wedding?”

“Tim said I may choose what I like; his parents are paying for the event entirely. I believe I would like a traditional church wedding and then have the reception right near the lake. It really is stunning this time of year.”

“You really are lucky my girl.”

I couldn’t help but to smile. I felt like a blushing bride. Smitten if you will.

“Yes, I suppose I am.”

“You never did tell me how he proposed to you.”

“He did it like true gentlemen. He called on me, and then confessed his love to me in our garden.”

“Oh how delightfully romantic.”

“Yes it was. Now Miss Clementine we must concentrate. There is much to accomplish today.” We walked into Weston’s. It was a beautiful bakery that all people with any means used for occasions of importance. It was the only choice for a woman of my standing.  I was to be a Dallas after all.

“Good day Miss, my name is Mary. How can I assist you?”

“I am looking for a cake for my wedding.”

“Please come and taste anything that you find worthy of your wedding.”

Chocolate had never tasted so heavenly. My mouth was delighted with bursting flavors of peach, vanilla, mocha, raspberry, mint, lime, and lemon. We tasted cake after cake after cake.

Finally though my eye caught a cake displayed in the window of the bakery. It was twelve layers. It was entirely white. It was adorned with beautiful lace and beading. It resembled my own wedding dress I was to wear. I couldn’t break my gaze away from it.

“Miss, it is the most expensive cake in the shop.”

“I’ll take it then.”

“Here is my address. Have it delivered no later than three o’clock Saturday June 11th. What was your name again?”

“Mary Danes Miss.”

“Yes, Miss Danes I hope you will personally deliver it. I would prefer a familiar face delivering something of utmost importance.”

“Yes, certainly Miss.”

Upon leaving the bakery we met with the florist, the dress maker and invitation maker. I tactfully handled each problem that arose and fine tuned even the smallest of details.

“Miss Clementine, with my sister away she will be unable to assist me with my wedding plans. I need a woman by my side to accompany me, and help me with the feminine details of a wedding. I don’t suppose you would be my maid of honor?”

“I thought you would never ask Elizabeth.”

“Grand!”

“Have you chosen your colors?”

“Yes, white and blush. I wish to be traditional and yet slightly modern.”

“Very wise choices. Will you have an orchestra?”

“Of course. Traditional music will be played throughout the event.” Miss Clementine then gave me a knowing smile.

“Oh my, you poor thing. How are you handling all the stress?”

“I have been training for this my whole life.”

“Now, I will be out of town for a few days visiting my husband, but I will return by the end of this coming week.”

“I need your help now more than ever.”

“How about I select the dresses your ladies in waiting are to wear. I will find something very alluring from California.”

“That is most generous of you.”

“Think of it as an early wedding gift, Besides I too have a say in what I am to wear.”

“You truly are a rich blessing.”

“My dear it is the least I can do.”