Chapter Twenty Eight

"Is it just me or is Clarke wearing her 'we're in trouble' face?"

"You took the words right out of my mouth."

The Grounder army was exactly what the name describes, an army

The Grounder army was exactly what the name describes, an army. As Clarke and I are led through their ranks by warriors who I see sharpening swords, filling quivers or just plain giving us death glares. I don't scare easily but boy is this set up intimidating.

"I'm glad you're with me", Clarke murmurs as she walks in step with me "It's reminding me of when we first came down here in the dropship."

"The Ark may be down now but it has always been us three" I agree. Reaching out I give her hand a small reassuring squeeze which Clarke is more than eager to return "You, me and Bellamy. It's how it's always been."

"How it always will be", Clarke corrects with a sharp nod.

We eventually reach a large tent which I assume is where the Commander is located. It's a large grey cloth that has been shaped into a tent, rising higher than our tents had been when we had first come down to the ground. At our approach one of the men outside steps forwards, his hair worn similar to Nyko's as his steely gaze doesn't deter from us.

"If either of you so much as looks at her the wrong way" he threatens in a low tone "I will slit your throats."

Swallowing any smart response I decide to remain quiet, knowing the smart mouth everyone knows I have might be the reason we get into trouble over here. My hands unconsciously feel for the daggers I'd left with Finn as the Grounder leads us into the tent. Following Clarke I enter last, gazing around in awe. Large wooden poles held up the tent. Sat in front of us on a throne made from wooden branches is the woman who I can only assume is the Commander. Her long brunette hair is pulled back in an entanglement of braids, black eye war paint bannered her eyes. Decorating her young features is a small metal decal which resembles a small machine cog. Any awe I had of this woman is snatched away when I noticed her twirling a knife between her hands, unfazed by Clarke and I's entrance.

"You're the ones who burned three hundred of my warriors alive", The Commander comments accusingly.

Deciding I won't let her intimidate Clarke or me, my voice comes out just as offended as hers "You're the one who sent them there to kill us."