xii. IN THE AIR TONIGHT

pre-apocalypse

amara mayer, elias mayer, aksel mayer, james wood, and kit wood

[ AFTER EVONY'S DEATH ]

It was an average rainy day in New York City, Aksel and Elias were working their jobs, and Amara, thanks to James and Kit Wood, practiced preparing herself for her first internship. Nothing felt out of the ordinary and everyone kept themselves busy to take their minds off of losing Evony, but soon everything about this day would change. Aksel Mayer knew that his family had a dark past, and that the woman he loved was mainly the source of it, but he never imagined he would come home to something as treacherous as this. 

Aksel hurried out of his car and rushed inside. A storm was coming soon and he assumed Elias and Amara would come home early, but they didn't. Amara called Aksel to let him know she'd be staying with Elias that night at James' apartment. Aksel, being disappointed by this news, tried to find ways to keep himself productive.

[ JAMES' APARTMENT ]

"Did you call and tell him?" Elias asked Amara

"Yes, I just got off the phone with him," Amara giggled as Kit came from behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist. "So I'm assuming we're all set? You're staying with James and I'm staying with Kit?" Her voice was uneven as Kit kept kissing her neck. Elias didn't like seeing Amara with Kit, it was definitely not a scene he was used to being around. "Yeah. I'll uh, go see James in the kitchen." Elias walked out of the living room and into the small, but charming kitchen James had. "Tired of the lovebirds already?" James chuckled as he poured wine in a glass. "Just not used to it, is all." Elias eyed the wine and James noticed. "Want some?" He offered Elias a glass and he chugged it right down.

"How long does your girl plan on being out of the city?" Elias asked with curiosity, wondering if she would be okay with all of this. "Oh, for a couple weeks or so. Sometimes she just stays on her business trips for as long as she doesn't want to come back and see me." James snickered and sat on the wide, rounded couch next to Amara and Kit, who were cuddling and picking a movie for them to watch. Elias awkwardly hovered over James before deciding to sit on the love sofa. "When will you two be leaving?" James asked them, knowing it's what Elias would like to ask. Kit took his attention off of Amara. "What, brother? Do you not enjoy seeing Amara and I together?" He asked in a playful tone. Amara rested her head on Kit's broad shoulder and tried not to look at James. "Don't worry, guys, we'll leave soon. I just thought it would be nice for all of us to watch a movie together like we used to." She smiled and glanced at the boys. James looked to Elias for approval, not really caring about what they'd end up doing. "Alright," Elias spoke up. "but make it a good movie, you don't always have the best taste." Amara laughed at Elias' sarcasm and went through the list of movies she'd been wanting to watch.