Chapter 16

**Tad**

It has been a week since my run-in with Cipher and what seems to be a new demon. I am not fully sure if that boy was a demon but the energy being thrown off could not be just Cipher's. I have been stuck hiding in my cave waiting for everything to blow over. Half of the forest burned down from that new demon not knowing how to control himself. Cipher training a new demon does not really affect me but I can certainly use this to get my way back into the nightmare realm. No more hopping dimensions and being an outcast. The Elder Demons would welcome me back if I brought Cipher's new demon of his. However, if I can align myself with this new demon, we could overthrow The Elders. They I can take vengeance on Bill and The Elders for what they did.

I am left needing to solve two problems. The first problem is that Cipher is certainly hiding the boy someone I cannot access, likely the nightmare realm. The only way I can get to the boy is by drawing them out but the question is how. This leads to my second problem, I know nothing about this boy. He does not seem to have been a demon for long or else the whole forest incident would not have happened. Perhaps he resided someone in this town.

I left the cave I was squatting in and made my way into the town. I had to take the long way around, avoiding the charred forest which were littered with first responders. I went down main street thinking of what would be a good place to start. Scanning the stores my eyes locked onto a child with blond hair and of similar height to the boy. They were likely the same age. Questioning her could be a good place to start. She was sitting inside of a diner, alone. Her eyes were sunken and makeup was starting to run down her face. She was fixated on the television showing the daily news.

**Pacifica**

I took small sips of my hot chocolate as I tried to keep my composure. The last think I need is being seen having a breakdown in public. I just can't believe it. Dipper's dead. There was hope that he was just lost in the woods but it has been a week. The only sign of him was his hat. Other than that he is a ghost. The fire marshal gave up the search and the 40 volunteers to help look for him disbanded.

The bell rang signaling I was no longer the only customer here. I could hear their footsteps as they walked. It reminded me of how my dad would walk. The footsteps were getting louder and closer, it probably is my dad. I didn't bother checking, I rather watch the TV and hope for a new development.

"Is this seat taken?" A suave man's voice asked. It certainly was not my fathers. I brake my glance away from the TV and look at the man talking. He looked late 20s/early 30s. He wore a suit with a plum colored vest and white tie. He had his hand open gesturing to the booth seat across from me. I stopped staring and realized he was talking to me. I shook my head no and he seated himself. "Thank you."

I got a better look at him now in the light, his face had a slight stubble forming. It was like a 5'o clock shadow but neatly grown.

"Are you okay?" He asked breaking me from my thoughts.

"Yea," I muttered as I wiped the smudging makeup off my face. He turned to glance at the TV screen.

"If you are just joining us, sources have confirmed that the towns sheriffs have declared the missing boy dead. Mason 'Dipper' Pines, only 13, was a well beloved citizen of Gravity Falls. Our hearts go out to the rest of the Pines family as they grieve this terrible loss." The news lady said, Sandra something.  Tears were coming back in full force hearing it again. I tried to slow my breaths to regain my composure.

"Was that boy a friend of yours?" The man asked. I just noticed he had a hint of an accent, British maybe? Regardless he certainty was not from here.

"Yea, he was honestly everyones friend. You not from around here are you?"

"No I am not. I am... just a... reporter, from out of town. Trying to figure out who that boy is." The man said flashing a charming grin. He must not know much of anyone in this town if he was to just come and talk to me for any reason but my namesake. Dipper was really one of the few from the town who didn't care about my money. God! Why does it hurt so much to lose him? I haven't even seen him for over a year. The guy clears his throat breaking me from my thoughts.

"Oh well, I can tell you a bunch about Dipper... but uh." I paused thinking about my next set of words. This guy seems a little weird even for Gravity Falls. Maybe Mabel wouldn't like it if I gave up all this information on Dipper either. "I shouldn't be the one to tell you everything. I think his family would be a better source for you."

"Oh and where can I find his family." He responds with a smile.

"Just head over to the Mystery Shack. It is not hard just follow the hundred signs they got scattered across town." I said finishing my hot chocolate and placing a $10 dollar bill on the table. The man gets up from the table first and waits for me with his hand gestured towards me.

"Thank you, it was a pleasure meeting you miss"

"Pacifica Northwest," I said as I shook his hand. I turned back to my boothseat to grab my purse. "Hey, I never got your name Mr.—"

I turned back and he was gone, like a ghost in the wind. An unsettling feeling I may have done something wrong surfaced. Maybe I should go warn the Pines, even give my condolences. I could also try to convince my dad to pay for Dipper's funeral. My dad may not like Dipper much but we still do technically owe him a favor. Yeah, that could work.