Chapter 2 - The Lockbox

Beth's jaw dropped, and she looked up at John.

"Woah," he said.

Beth stared at the box but didn't move to open it.

"Aren't you going to open it?" John asked.

She bit her lip. "I dunno. I've wanted to get in there for what feels like forever. Now that I can, it almost feels like I shouldn't."

"Why?"

"I don't know. Maybe I'm afraid the mystery of the box will turn out to be greater than the contents."

"There's only one way to find out."

Beth nodded, put a hand to the box, and lifted the lid. Her movements were slow and tentative, but the lid finally opened.

The interior of the box was lined with black velvet. In the middle sat a diamond necklace that gleamed in the dim light of her living room. She inhaled sharply before reaching down to touch it.

She grabbed it tentatively, as if she were afraid it would burn her hand. She held it up to examine it. The diamond was large, but not obnoxiously so, and was secured in a sturdy setting. She slipped it around her neck and fastened the clasp.

"It looks great with the costume," John said.

"You think I should wear this to the party?"

"It's destiny," he replied with a laugh. "You've been trying to get into that box forever."

He had a point, but what if she lost the necklace before she could learn about it? Of course, she probably wasn't going to learn about it. Her mother was the only person who knew about the box, and she knew nothing about the contents. Beth nodded.

"I guess I'll keep it on. We should get going," she said.

"I'm parked right out front," he answered, never taking his eyes off of her.

Before walking out the front door, she grabbed her long coat out of the closet. It was a cool fall night and there was no way her skimpy costume would keep her warm. She slipped into the coat, stepped to the door, and gave two hard tugs. After it didn't budge, John stepped around her, took the handle with both hands, and pulled it open with a grunt.

"Sorry. I'll get that thing fixed," he said as they stepped outside.

They walked down the front sidewalk to his Mazda 3. John, in his costume, gave off an air of death and decay, while Beth radiated life and radiance. It was as if an aura surrounded her, trying to snuff out the drabness of his attire.

John opened the passenger door for her when they arrived at the car, and she climbed in. Moments later John was behind the wheel, and they were on their way to the party.

------

As they drove through the streets of Harrisburg, Beth caught John's eyes glancing at her slender leg that slipped out between the front of the coat. She bit back a grin.

Looking out the window, she was amazed at how festive the town had become. Even more revelers filled the main roads, spilling out of the handful of bars on the main drag. Their excitement rubbed off on her, making her impatient to get to the party.

As they drove, she glanced down at the cup holder between the two front seats. A white plastic card sat in the holder.

"What's this?" she said, picking it up with a gloved hand and examining it. It was devoid of any markings.

"I found it in the parking lot at work. I think it is a swipe card for some of the keypads in the building."

"The keypads that give access to areas that lowly starting employees like you don't have?"