Chapter 16 - The Search

The sun sat high in the sky as Stanley dropped Beth off at the hotel. She ran inside and made a quick change into her formfitting costume. The blond beauty didn't don her gloves, necklace, or boots, though, instead opting to place them inside a backpack. She concealed the rest of her outfit under a long coat before returning to Stanley's car.

Once back in the passenger seat, she removed her running shoes and slipped into her boots. She pulled her gloves into place under the sleeves of her coat. As Stanley drove toward the GPS location of his investigator's car, the alluring woman loosened her coat enough to fasten the necklace. A tingle of excitement coursed through her body, as if she sensed the power within her. She was ready for whatever they might encounter.

"What's your investigator's name?" Beth asked as the road weaved along the Susquehanna River.

"Dirk O'Shea," Stanley replied. "My best investigator. He's very resourceful. And conscientious, too. It's unusual for him not to report in. I emailed you a couple of photos, so you might recognize him."

Beth detected worry in Stanley's voice, but it was barely perceptible. She didn't know how he remained calm. His son was on his deathbed, and his top investigator was missing and might be dead. She was glad she had decided to help. It was time for her to kick the angst-filled schoolgirl to the curb.

She fished her iPhone out of her backpack and checked her email for Stanley's message, finding two photographs of Dirk O'Shea. Stanley's missing investigator was a good-looking guy, in a rugged sort of way, with a five o'clock shadow, wide nose, and a strong jaw. He was maybe ten years older than she was. The man had eyes almost as blue as hers, and thick, wavy brown hair. O'Shea had a stern look to him, but almost like it was forced, with a mouth ready to break into a grin at any time. She committed his face to memory, in case they found him.

Ten minutes later they reached the river park and pulled down a gravel lane. Evergreen trees loomed above them, with the wide boughs weaving gently in the breeze. The sunlight splintered as it peaked through the canopy, creating scattered patterns of light on the ground and making it feel later than mid afternoon.

Ahead of them, at the edge of a gravel lot, sat a nondescript Ford Taurus overlooking the river 100 feet below. Stanley pulled his SUV to a stop thirty yards from the vehicle.

"That's his car," Stanley remarked.

"Wait here," Beth said, throwing off her coat. She opened her door and jumped out before Stanley could argue.

As she moved toward the front of Stanley's car, it was as if an aura surrounded the slender woman. Her angelic face, with its prominent cheekbones and piercing blue eyes, radiated a palpable beauty. Her shimmering blond hair added to the effect. The sheen of her costume's vibrant blue fabric, as it hugged the contours of her breasts and flat stomach, drew the sunlight to it. The light emphasized the pure white of her gloves and her short skirt. Even her taut calf and thigh muscles gleamed in the dim sunlight. Her appearance screamed sexuality, strength, and innocence, all at once.

Her aura wasn't entirely physical. Gone was the shaken, unsure girl, full of guilt about using her new powers. In its place stood a woman who exuded certainty and purpose. Perhaps it was self-confidence. Or perhaps it was her powers, taking tangible form. She was barely Beth now. At least not in her own mind. She was Sapphire Angel.

Sapphire Angel jogged around the front of the car and approached the investigator's car. Her heart was beating as she crept forward, but not from fear. She was excited. Whatever trepidation she had felt before putting on the costume was gone, replaced by the thrill of taking action.

The stunning super lady swiveled her head as she approached the vehicle, looking for signs of others. She glanced back at Stanley, suddenly worried about leaving him alone. She shouldn't have brought him with her.