Chapter 36 - Depowered

The blue light grew brighter and the mechanical groaning louder as the man carried Sapphire Angel down the hall. She groaned softly as he carried her, pain from the beating wracking her body. Her head drooped to the side and, for the briefest of moments, she saw the tunnel of light in her mind's eye again. It filled her vision and held steady, even when she looked away. Before she could see the other end, the vision disappeared.

When they reached the room at the end of the hall, the large man walked several feet further and lowered her legs to the floor. He wrapped an arm around her shoulders and pushed her into a standing position. She wobbled in front of him, struggling to stay on her feet. Her body throbbed with pain, and she started to fall forward. The man seized her shoulders, holding her upright.

Her four attackers stood behind her, and several other men formed a semicircle in front of her. Demarco Dominick stood in the center, flanked by three men in white lab coats and at least five other guards. Erie shadows flickered around them.

She struggled to keep her head up and take in her surroundings. She pulled her eyes away from Dominick and spotted the glass cylinder to her left, about twenty feet away. It emitted the loud mechanical groaning she had heard, but more noticeable was its bright blue glow, filling the room. Blinding light spilled from an open panel at its base. Even in her battered state, she recognized the opening as the same one she and John had climbed into three nights earlier. The blue light from within seemed to rush out, like water escaping a dam.

Sapphire Angel knew she was looking at the device responsible for the loss of her powers. But captive as she was, she could do nothing to stop it. Even if the man behind loosened his grip, she would only tumble to the floor. There was no way out of this.

As her eyes adjusted to the blue light, she made out a human form laying on the floor inside the cylinder, unmoving. She emitted a soft whimper. It was Ethan.

Worry washed over her at the sight of her friend. She said a silent prayer, hoping he was still alive, but realized it probably didn't matter. Battered and beaten, she was at the mercy of her captors and couldn't save him. Even if he was alive, it was only temporary. They were both going to die here. Her head sagged in despair.

Dominick stepped to her, grabbing her face. He cradled her chin in his massive hand, gripping her cheeks between his thumb and index finger. He squeezed and forced their eyes to met.

"I'm trying to figure you out, girl," he said, raising his voice just enough to be heard over the noise from the cylinder. "You think putting on a fancy costume gives you the right to stick your nose in my business?"

Anger flared in Beth, temporarily masking the pain throbbing throughout her body, and she shot a glare at Dominick. Her voice came out clear and strong.

"When you killed someone Friday night, you gave me the right to stick my nose in your business."

Dominick's jaw hardened.

"Well you failed, superheroine," he said, contempt dripping from his voice. "Everything you did at our headquarters and our farm was for nothing. I've beaten you. And now you will help me reach my goal."

"Your goal?" she answered. "You mean killing more people?"

Dominick's eyes flashed. "If I have to, yes."

She watched him with a mix of disdain and pity, but said nothing. He noticed her appraising look.

"You think I'm crazy, don't you?" he asked, his annoyance unmistakable. "Perhaps it's easier for you to stomach this if you think I'm a madman. I assure you that's not the case. I know what it's like to lose someone, just like you do. The difference is I can stop it from happening again."