Chapter one

A burning Pain shot up Jace's arm. He woke up and looked at the clock next to his bed- two AM. His eyes adapted to the darkness. His left hand was covered in blood. He cursed. Then he saw his bloody handprint on the wall and cursed again. He must have hit his Hand against the wall while he was asleep. He stood up and put a towel on his hand, he didn't want to ruin the white sheet. He sighed and closed his eyes. He was tired. Really tired. But then, he saw Clary before his inner eye. He gasped and opened his eyes. Nothing. He closed them again. Here it was- an image of Clary. He could hear her. "Save me!", she screamed, "You are the reason I am in this horrible place right now, so come and save me!" Jace winced. For a quick moment, Clary disappeared and Jace fell asleep. Someone slapped him in the face. He opened his eyes, gasping. There was no one in his room. It was his mind, playing with him. He tried to sleep, but he couldn't. Clary's face appeared and disappeared, he heard her scream and beg for help. He couldn't tell if he was awake or not. Then someone slapped him in the face again. Jace didn't open his eyes. The person slapped him harder, screaming: "Jace! Wake up!" The voice was familiar to him, as familiar as his own. He opened his eyes and stared directly into Alec's face. His bright blue eyes seemed to be greyish, he had dark circles under his eyes, the lips dry, the hair stood up in all directions. "Don't ever scare me like that again.", he said. "What happened?" Jace was confused- what did Alec do in his room? He looked at the clock- three AM. "You screamed as if someone was trying to kill you.", Alec answered. "Oh, was I? I'm sorry I woke you up, it was just a bad dream.", he lied. He didn't want to bother Alec with his problems, too. "What happened to your hand?", Alec asked. Jace cursed- it was still bleeding. "I cut it at the wall or something.", he said. Alec got to Jace's wardrobe and picked up his stele out of a pocket of his leather Jacket. "You don't have to. I'm fine.", Jace said. It was clear as glass that Alec didn't believe him. He knew Jace better than himself. Alec drew an 'Iraze'- Rune on the wound. Jace gasped. Although the heat which was produced by a stele was as familiar to him as the material of his hunting Uniform, it still surprises him every time how something so hot can not burn you. "Will you sleep now?", Alec asked. "I'll try.", Jace answered. Alec left his room and closed the door. Jace closed his eyes again. Clary appeared immediately. He stood up and looked into the mirror. He wore underwear. That was all. He put on a shirt and some pants, took his stele, his phone, his jacket and a seraph blade and went outside the institute. The air was cold. It was raining. It made Jace calm down. The walked through the streets with no specific destination. The he ended up before 'hunters moon'. He had no idea how he got there. Usually, he would always take the chance to get a drink or at least to fight some werewolves. But he wasn't in the mood. So, he just sat down next to the entry and stared around. Someone touched his shoulder. It was Simon. "Hey, you can't sleep too?", he asked. Jace nodded. He wasn't in the mood for a conversation either. And Simon recognized that, so he just sat next to Jace, not saying anything. Jace was thankful he wasn't alone, and for the first time he really appreciated being with Simon. He felt as guilty for Clary's death as Jace did. They just sat there. It got colder, but the cold made Jace feel alive. "Why are you here?", Simon asked. "I don't know. I just ended up here." "No, I mean, why are you walking around? I mean you could be at the institute, uh, sleep?" "Why shouldn't I walk around a little? I got nothing to lose. No one cares." Simon interrupted him:" That's not true. Alec cares. Isabelle cares. Magnus does too." "I'm nothing but a distraction for them", Jace answered. "Why do you think so?", Simon asked. "They always have to stand straight for all of my mistakes. All Isabelle does is saving my ass, same with Magnus. And if they can't save my ass, Alec is responsible for it. Believe me, they, you all would have less problems if you didn't be friends with me." "I don't think so. They care. A lot, actually. And even if you think they don't- I do. And there is nothing you can do about it." "Is killing your best friend not enough?", Jace asked. "You didn't kill her. I did. And don't look at me that way, I know you want to contradict me.", Simon asked. "You know, the only thing that held me back from risking everything at a mission was the thought of Clary. If I would die, it wouldn't matter to me. But to her, it would have mattered. So, I tried my best. And now, the person I've been living for is dead. And so is my reason to live." Simon gasped. "I can relate. We need to get through this together." Jace stood up: "I guess, that's a good moment for a drink." The boys walked into hunter's moon. Simon ordered two tequila shots. Then two more. And two more. Then, they tried some bloody marry. They drank one. Then another one, and another one. Both forgot all of their worries. Jace has never felt so good since Clary died. Same with Simon. They drank more and more, they threw up four times each, but they still continued drinking. In the End they drank seven tequila shots, eleven beer, five bloody marries and 15 vodkas. Jace never drank so much in his life. "That was the best night since months.", Jace said and fell asleep. And so did Simon.