Leaving

The next morning.

Man I'm so tired of this place, I hope I passed all those stupid tests I did yesterday.

I press the little button on the bed that makes the bed sit up.

Perfectly timed, Ross walks in with a tray of breakfast.

"Hey." He says sitting on a chair as close to me as possible. He hands me the tray.

"Thanks, but I think you brought me too much." I say looking at an over filled tray of food.

The pancakes are piled on each other tiling over like the tower of Pisa. The bacon is piled looking like it's hanging over the side of the tray and a whole bunch of strawberries toppling onto the pancakes.

"Well I want breakfast too you know." He says taking out a fork and a butter knife out if his sweater pocket.

We share breakfast for about an hour talking about random nonsense like this.

"So where do you think butter comes from?" Ross asks.

"Are you seriously asking that question?" I say.

"Yeah." Ross says stuffing his face with bacon bits.

"From cows. Butter is dairy. Dairy products come from cows." I try and explain.

"What? That doesn't sound right." He says.

"Well it's true."

"That's a lie. Everyone knows butter comes from butterflies." Ross scoffs at the end.

Our odd conversations go on and on till noon.

A doctor walks in.

"Hello Riley." The same doctor as yesterday says.

"Hello. Did you get my results?" I ask.

He looks at his clip board as I sit in suspense. Why couldn't he have checked his clip board before he walked in the door?

"Looks like your good to go Riley. Your mother is downstairs talking to an assistant of mine to see about a prosthetic leg in a couple of weeks." He says.

"Okay, so does that mean Ross can escort me out right now?"

"Yes your good to go." He says one more time.

The doctor walks out leaving a wheelchair for me in the room.

"Ready to go." Ross asks.

"Let me change out of this stupid blue thing." I say.

Ross walks out and waits at the door.

I sit up and grab the bag of stuff Ross bought for me the other day.

A v neck yellow shirt with an R on it and some dark jean shorts.

I change into the shirt fast an easy then take like half an hour putting on the shorts.

I brush out my brown hair and put on a yellow sandal.

"Ready." I say loud enough for Ross to hear.

He walks in with that smile I can't believe I once lied without.

"Let's go." He says helping me up and into the wheelchair.

We don't talk at all until we get down to the lobby and our mom's are waiting for us at the front.

"Why is your mom here?" I ask.

"She has to distract your mom while I take you to a surprise." He says.

"What?" That's why he needed to know how much trouble I was in, his gonna get me in even more.

We head toward Ross's mom and she winks at Ross, then she heads to my mother. Ross sneaks me out the hospital without my mom noticing. He helps me inside his car and folds up his wheelchair and puts it in the back.

We drive off.