Plan Gone Wrong

Leo's POV

Frank didn't even hesitate. He just ran and threw himself over the edge, shooting towards the falling Annabeth. We were not going to repeat our mistakes.

Tartarus completely forgotten, I ran to the edge and peered over, looking for any sign of Frank and Annabeth. Before I could get a good look, Tartarus stomped his foot and the cavern rumbled, sending a gust of air my way.

Terror ripped through me as I was officially farther in open air than the ground. I windmilled my arms in panic. This was so embarrassing. 'Demigod loses balance and falls into hell'. 

"Leo!" Someone screamed and I felt a fist grab the back of my shirt and I was yanked back. I fell on top of Will and he pulled me farther away from the edge.

I was gasping in fear. "You okay?" Will asked. He was scanning me for injuries, and then his eyes jumped to the pit, then to our friends who were screaming in rage and trying to actually fight the hulking figure.

My heart sank. Two down, the rest sure to follow.

And then the screech of an eagle. My head whipped to the pit, a huge grin on my face, as Frank the Eagle rocketed out of the pit, Annabeth in tow.

He swooped down and gently set her on her feet to where she immediately collapses to her knees, clutching the needle close to her chest. She was crying real tears now. Sobbing, practically.

"Leo, help me," Will called, dashing over to Annabeth to help her out of the war zone. We each grabbed an arm and led her away. "Guys, come on!" I yelled, waving frantically. They were taking a beating trying to fight with him. We had what we needed and it's time to go.

Hazel nodded. She pressed her hands to the rocky ground and little tremors spread outwards. The ground around Tartarus's feet started to form sink holes, making him stumble.

Frank turned into an elephant and started ramming his head into Tartarus's knees hoping to make him lose his balance. Jason flew up and drop kicked him in the face, finally sending him tumbling back down into his pit.

He roared in rage as he fell, sucking the air with him. I suddenly found it very hard to get a breath of air. Will and I ran forward, herding demigods back the way we came.

"We've got it," Will said triumphantly. And we began our ascent to the real world.