Chapter 2: Settling In

Y/N's POV

"Hit me with your best shot," Max said in reply, though his face said why.

We were walking down a short, tree lined path to a big wooden building that appeared to be the 'Mess Hall.' Or at least, that's what the sign above the green doors said. A flag with the camp insignia flew proudly above us, and made me want to roll my eyes.

"What exactly is Camp Campbell? It seems a little odd that they'd take 'Beastie' camp without question." I asked, ignoring his expression.

"Camp Campbell, better known as Camp Camp, is where summer activities come to die. Parents who don't want to deal with their kids get scammed by the camp founder, and we get sent to what's basically a underfunded consolidated camp. In reality, it's just Gwen and David trying to keep all hell from breaking loose. Which they ultimately suck at."

I gave him an amused look, "You been rehearsing that?"

"Blame Preston," he grunted. I made a mental note to find out who Preston was later.

We stopped in front of the building. "This is the mess hall!" Nikki chirped, after bounding up in front of me, "We eat here!"

"We also sometimes do other activities in there, but that pretty much sums it up," Neil butted in. He shot me a sympathetic look, "I hope you like potatoes, they're the Quartermaster's specialty."

"Meh, my family sucks at cooking. At this point my taste buds are dead," I shrugged.

Max gestured to a path directly across from where we came from, "That way leads to the dock, and if you keep walking, the bottom of the lake." Snorting at his comment, I glanced in the direction the arm pointed and could just make out sunlight reflecting off the water, if I really squinted.

"The path to the left of that one goes to the amphitheater; stage, benches, bad acting, pretty standard stuff there. To the left of that is the activities field, which you can see for yourself, 'cause I'm not explaining that mess. And the last direction, all the way to the right, is how you get to the only remotely good part of camp, the tents where we sleep." Max rushed all of that, as if he just wanted to be done already.

"And there's a campfire! "Nikki added, "It's great for burning stuff!" Her enthusiasm for arson was disturbing to say in the least.

The mention of tents reminded me. "Bag... getting... heavier," I groaned dramatically.

They got the hint, and Max rolled his eyes, "Whiny much?"

"Just show me where to ditch my stuff, and I'll be golden."

"We'll have to go ask Gwen."

I cursed. This meant more lugging around the damn bag.

~~time skip~~

"Gwen? Gwen, Gwen, Gwen, Gwen, Gwen, Gwen, Gwen, Gwen, Gwen, Gwen, Gwen, Gwen, Gwen, Gwen, GWEN!" Max tugged on Gwen's magazine to get her attention.

We had to walk all the way to the tent area to find her; she had holed up in her cabin, almost like she was hiding from the campers and their problems.

She looked down at him, clearly annoyed at the interruption from her juicy tabloids. "What do you want, twerp?"

Max wasn't fazed. "Where's Y/n gonna sleep?" He asked, arms folded impatiently, "You didn't even tell us before."

Gwen sighed, and dropped her magazine to check a clipboard. "Um... Tent 3," She answered, but with a tense expression, as if she expected a reaction.