Lin

Cam and I patiently waited on a bench near the women's bathroom as Pippa tended to America.  It had all been too much for her apparently.  The poor kid had become physically ill from the stress of it all.  Pippa had been in there with her for a good fifteen minutes before they emerged.  Pippa's face was solemn, her arm around our new kid.

Pippa and I had discussed possibly adopting her, but the time definitely wasn't right just yet.  Plus, she was almost an adult anyways.  It would be more of a symbolic gesture.  For now, she was safe and happy with us.  America trailed over to Cam.  My wife and I started walking ahead, hand in hand, as the girls trailed behind us.

Cam might be able to work some magic as a teenager to make her feel better.  As we walked, I heard them talking quietly and a few giggles every now and then.  It was only 11:00, but we decided they could both have the whole day off school.

Now that the ordeal was over, America had decided she'd take Molly up on her offer to use her room.  The girls spent that afternoon moving America's stuff over and putting some of Molly's stuff into boxes.  My parents had some extra storage space, so we'd take it over later.  By early evening, the room was somewhat transformed.  America didn't want to change too much and was respectful of Molly's space.

We went out to eat to celebrate.  America's favorite Mexican restaurant.  Now, her stomach seemed to have calmed and she was laughing and joking around with us.  It all felt right.

We gave her some space that night, knowing she had some feelings to work through.  Around 10:00, Pippa and I decided to head to bed.  I said goodnight to Cam, then made my way to America's room.  I smiled at her as I walked in.

"It looks good in here," I told her, looking around.  She'd added just a couple things and taken a few away. 

"Thanks," she said.  "It's nice to have my own space."

"I bet," I told her as I sat down on her bed.  We weren't family, obviously, so I had been pretty conservative about showing her any affection.  I patted her back and hugged her every now and then, but now she wrapped her arms around me.  I was a little surprised, but warmly returned her hug.

"Thanks for everything," she told me.

"Of course," I said, still hugging.  "I'm glad we've been able to help you out."

As we pulled away from the hug, she wiped at her eyes a little bit, emotional.  It made my eyes well up with tears as well.

"How are you feeling?" I asked her, and she shrugged.

"Mostly happy, but kind of like a lost something important."

I just nodded, waiting for her to continue.  "I'm sure you and your mom will reconnect at some point.  When you're both ready."

"What if she never forgives me?" she asked quietly.  As a parent, I didn't think that was possible.  No matter what my kids did, I would always forgive them and always want to be part of their lives.  Sofia seemed to be cut from different fabric, but I didn't think she was that cold.

"I think she will," I told her honestly.  "Not right away, but she will.  I know she loves me."

America looked a little unconvinced, but this would all take time.  And we would help her through it.

"Anyways," I said.  "I'm glad you're here with us."

She smiled as I stood up.  She began to lay down in bed so I pulled back her covers so she could get in.  When she was settled, I pulled the covers up to her chin.  I took a chance and gave her a quick kiss on the head.

"'Night, kiddo," I told her, walking over to the door.  My fingers on the light switch, I looked back at her.  She looked relaxed and happy.  America had gone from a thorn in our family's skin to being a member of our family. 

I closed the door and walked down the quiet hallway to my own bedroom.  Pippa was already laying on her side, snuggled in.  I stripped off my jeans and sweater and climbed into bed behind her, working my body up close to hers.  My arm went around her and I pressed a gentle kiss to her neck.

"Love you," she whispered to me.

"Love you too," I answered back.  I closed my eyes and inhaled her sweet, familiar scent.  Our twins were fast asleep in their beds; Cam and America were hopefully soon following suit.  Molly was the only one missing, but she'd be back to visit next month.  Sometimes it was easy to lose sight of just how lucky I was.  I had a beautiful wife, three biological children, a stepdaughter, and one 'bonus' daughter.  As I drifted off to sleep, I counted myself as one of the luckiest guys in the world.

THE END