C h a p t e r 6

Austin Smith
October 24, 2019
8:00 a.m

I stood outside of my best friends barbershop looking onto the busy streets of downtown Dallas. It felt good to be back home to my stepping grounds. Don't get me wrong I loved the atmosphere of Minnesota, but it couldn't compare to Dallas.

Being down here brought many good memories back but it also brought back the terrible memories. I wasn't always the Austin that I am today. The one that is always smiling and goofing around with the people I loved.

Growing up I held so much hate in my heart, that was self destructive to my present but also my future because I kept bring the past with me. I couldn't let go of the emotional hate that I held that it was just weighting it down blocking me from my blessings.

At the age of 10 years old I was placed into foster care here in Dallas. Nobody wanted to adopt me because I wasn't what they were looking for. 8 years of my life spent into foster care with no family to turn into.

When I turned 16 years I got 2 jobs during the night while getting up to go to school in the morning. I didn't have no family to fall back on; I had to pay bills, buy myself clothes, even had to save money to put me through college. I didn't have the luxury of getting help throughout my teenage years.

The hard work was eventually paid off when I got a full ride scholarship to Texas Southern University. There I met my best friend Derrick. He was my first actual friend since I was 10, and appreciative to him is not even the word.

He looked past the hard exterior that I carried around everyday and seen me in a different perspective. He seen the real me; just the scared little boy crying for help. He convinced me to follow my dream of opening my first sneaker store because of my passion for shoes and being my own boss.

I finally convinced myself to go to therapy to help get over my past and the abandonment feeling that I felt constantly. The first day I was there I was completely nervous scared that the other people will judge me or try to convince me that my problems weren't big and I needed to get over it.

What I didn't expect was to see this goddess in the room with me. Chocolate skin so smooth and the aura that she had surrounded her, there was no way that I couldn't be attracted to her. Something about her drew me in maybe it was her vibe or it was the mysterious feeling I got whenever I was around her.

I sat back and watched her for the first 8 therapy sessions scared that she'll turn me down. I was finally able to build up the confidence I needed to talk to her after our 9th therapy section. Her voice matched the angelic face she carried. Her voice could probably draw anybody in and that was something I loved about her.

She politely told me that she wasn't looking for anyone, but I could be a friend. I remember hearing those words and knowing that I couldn't just let her go, so I agreed. I eventually was able to put my feelings to the side when I finally got to know her.

She was always there for me even when she was dealing with her own problems. Slowly our friendship turned into more leading to the beginning of our relationship.

I was in love with Maylee and nobody could tell me different. Just hearing her voice in the morning made my day better. I showered her with love and affection, which she needed especially after her previous relationship.

I watched her finally come into her self again. She learned how to love herself and when she did she finally learned how to love me. I planned to marry her and have her be the woman to have all my kids.

Sadly, all good things have to come to an end. Me and Maylee had to put an end to our 1 1/2 year relationship. I couldn't just force her to move to Minnesota with me because she made a name for herself down here. She built her brand from the ground up and me wanting her to leave that would be incredibly selfish.

Just as I was getting my chance of making a name for myself, May was doing it for herself. Even when we weren't together anymore I still supported her no matter what she did.

"Man you going get your girl back?" Derrick asked me as he was shaping me up with the clippers

"I hope man, May was really my baby. My first love, my everything and I wanna give us another shot." I explained as I watched the basketball game on the television screen hung on the wall.

"If you want her you better talk to her. She's a dime a dozen and you can't find many like her. There is probably a man out there planning to snatch her up now man." He shook his head taking the cape of me.

"I know man and i'll do anything to have her back in my arms."