Part 1: Introduction

My name is Maisie Benedict. I live with my parents in Lakehead, California. It's a small town, so everybody knows everybody. My parents and I just moved here. I was going to a new school, and I had to make new friends.

I had to leave my friends, my teachers, and my old school. I loved it in Kansas. It was where I grew up for most of my life. The hardest thing was saying goodbye to my best friends Ava and Nathan. We grew up together. I didn't want to leave, but my parents made me.

My dad got a new job offer here for his work. He was a police officer.
———————————————————————————
I was starting my first year in my new school. It was a lot different than my old school. It was very small. It was going to be a long year.

It was a regular sunny day in Lakehead. I mostly stayed in my room away from my parents. I had to go to to school tomorrow. I'm going into ninth grade.  I don't know anybody.

I just finished unpacking my clothes when there was a knock on my door. I sighed and flopped on my bed.

"Come in!" I yelled.

My mother opened the door and gave me a sympathetic look.

"What do you want?" I snapped causing her to change her mood.

"Maisie, I know you're hurting right now but I'm still your mother and you're not going to talk to me like that. Now change your attitude and come down for dinner."

"I'll be down in a minute." I said quietly.

She nodded her head and left my room.

I sighed again and picked up a picture laying on my nightstand. It was a picture of Ava and Nathan. I smiled and set it back down.

I went downstairs for dinner. My parents were waiting for me.

I sat down at the table.

"Nice of you to join us." My dad finally said.

I fake smiled and started picking at my food.

"So are you excited for your first day?" My mom asked.

I didn't say anything.

"Look Maisie, you'll make new friends I promise."

"I don't want knew friends mom. I want to see Ava and Nathan!" I yelled.

I got up ran back upstairs to my room. I slammed my door shut and jumped on my bed. I cried into my pillow.

The next day I woke up to my phone it was a message from Ava. I smiled and opened it.

Hey Maze, I miss you. Hope you're having fun there. My mom says I come visit you over the summer. I can't wait to hear about your first day. Love you!

I texted her back and set my phone back on my night stand. It was my first day. I was not looking forward to this. I looked in my closet and picked out a cute outfit to wear.

By the time I finished getting ready it was almost eight. My mom was going to drive me.

I sat in the front seat and she drove me.

I made it just in time.

"Have a good day at school. Love you Maisie!"

I closed the door and started to walk up. Everyone stared at me. I was so embarrassed.

I was in the office waiting for my schedule. My new guidance counselor gave me my schedule and told me that a girl in my grade would show me around.

I transferred during the middle of the first semester so she knew her way around. Her name was Selena.

She finally came after another five minutes of waiting.

"Hi you must be Maisie. My name is Selena Sorrento. I'll be showing you around."

"It's nice to meet you." I said quietly.

She had the same exact schedule so she knew mine by heart.

"You ready?"

I shook my head.

We walked to our first period class. It was English with Mrs. Green.

We walked in immediately everyone noticed me and started whispering. I gulped and sat down next to Selena. She talked to her friends and I just scrolled through my phone while I waited for class to start.
____________________________________
The rest of the day went by fast. I was so happy to get out of here. I wanted to cry. I missed my old school more than anything.

I decided to walk home to get my thoughts out instead of riding the bus. It was a ten minute drive from my house so it would be a twenty minute walk for me.

I hated my new school, nobody liked me. Everyone hates me already and I didn't even get a chance to show them my true self.

I got home it was almost 3:30. I sighed and went straight to my room.

I slammed my door and laid on my bed. I threw my blankets over my head and cried myself to sleep.

I woke up to a knock at my door. I looked at my phone it was six o'clock. I sniffed.

"Come in." I said quietly.

"Hey hun, how was your first day of school?" My dad asked.

"Fine."

"Well dinners ready."

"I'm not hungry." I said with attitude.

"Okay." He said and closed my door.

I sighed and opened my phone. I called Ava. She immediately answered.

"Hey Maze, How was your first day?"

"Horrible." I started to cry.

"What happened?"

"Everybody hates me." I sniffed

"Maisie, nobody hates you they just haven't got a chance to get to know you."

"I miss you Ava. I hate not seeing you."

"I know. My mom says that I can come see you over spring break. It's only a few months." She said trying to make me feel better.

"Okay. I'll text you later I have to go eat."

"Bye Maze love you!"

"Love you." I said before hanging up.

I wasn't really going to eat I'm just tired. This the hardest thing I ever had to do. I had to leave all my family and my friends life was just getting harder by the minute.