Quiet as a Mouse

Chapter 1

*Lucas’s PoV*

I sat up in my bed with a internally groan and rubbed my eyes. I felt around on my nightstand until my hand found the button to shut off my alarm. As I got up I trudged to the bathroom, trying to wake up from my zombie like state I was currently in. I heard my dad shout at me from downstairs.

“Lucas! The bus will be here in twenty minutes!” I whined to my self at the thought of going to school and pulled out my clothes for the day. I wiggled into myself into a pair of black skinny jeans and pulled a grey v-neck shirt over my head.

After getting dressed, and pulling on my green shoes and jacket, I darted down stairs to my kitchen before grabbing an apple.

“The bus is here son. I’ll see you when I get back to work.” I nodded and smiled as my dad ruffled my messy green hair. I grabbed my backpack and waved to my dad as I ran out the door towards the bus. I bounded up the stairs and towards the back of the bus, sitting by my friend Cole. He was wearing a baggy black sweater with purple skinny jeans and white vans.

I smiled a bit, seeing how he didn’t notice me since he had his face buried in a book. His slightly nerdy glasses were set at the tip of his nose as he became more and more engrossed in his book. I sat beside him and pushed them up, making him jump a bit before registering that I had gotten on the bus.

“Oh, hi Lucas! Sorry. My book was getting really intense. See the main character…” I listened to my friend go on and on about the latest adventures in his book. I smiled and nodded along, letting him know I was listening. He was kind of adorable rambling on like that. I subconsciously snuggled closer to him and spaced out, just looking taking in every feature of his face. His pudgy, child-like cheeks, his small nose and his warm brown eyes that had flecks of gold in them.

“Lukey… Lukey….. Lucas!” I snapped out of my staring and blushed a bit, smiling innocently. Cole just sighed. “Were you even listening?”

I looked down a bit and shook my head shamefully. Luckily he just laughed and hugged me, making me blush a bit. He smiled and let me go.

“You’re a dork you know that?” I smiled and nodded my head as I played with his blue hair. He just laughed and snuggled into me as well.

Cole and I had been best friends for about three years now. We met back in our freshman year when I transferred to a new school, his school. He was the only kid who truly tried to make a connection with me. Many of the others didn’t want to make the effort, seeing how I couldn’t talk to them. I was born with underdeveloped vocal chords, which meant I was mute. Cole didn’t mind this though. He just came up to me, introduced himself, and started talking as if this was completely routine. We’ve been best friends ever since that day.

“Hey, Lucas, wanna come over after school today? I got a new computer game that I thought we should check out.” I smiled and nodded, quickly pulling out my phone to let my dad know. Right after I hit ‘send’, Cole took my phone before I could protest and started taking selfies. I lightly hit his arm and leaned in to take selfies with him. If you can’t beat them join them right? He laughed and took a couple more before handing the phone back to me. I let out a wheezy laugh and put my phone back in my pocket.

The bus pulled up to the school and everyone, including me and Cole, stated piling out. We entered the building and he gave me a small pat on the butt before laughing and we parted ways, heading to our classes. God I love that boy.

 Hey guys this is a test run. Let me know what you think in the comments. I'm currently working on Chapter 2 so let me know if I should update or not.