𝒓𝒊𝒍𝒆𝒚  

     While I drove home after dropping Maya off, a million thoughts start whirling around in my head. 

     She was acting kind of strange today. She didn't toss around flirty comments or anything. I hope she was okay, she seemed upset about something. I pull into the driveway and enter my house.

     Mom and Dad were going to run errands, so I'm all alone for the night. I really hope Maya is able to come over later.

     I pass the time by binge-watching The Vampire Diaries for the hundredth time. I'll never get enough of that show.

     I check my phone and it's almost 10:00. Maya hasn't texted me. I sigh and keep watching my show. After one or two more episodes, my eyes drift off to sleep.

~~~~~

     My eyes flutter open and they're hit with a blinding light. I look over at my alarm clock and see that it's almost 1:00 PM.

     Wow, I really slept in.

     I freshened up, trying to decide what I'll do today. I text Farkle, but he says he's going out with Smackle. I decide to text Lucas, but he's hanging with Zay and the rest of the baseball team. I'm too nervous to ask if Maya's up to anything.

     I guess I'm on my own for today. Fun. At least it'll feel like a shorter day since I slept for half of it.

    As I cozy up in my bed getting ready to watch more Netflix, Dad calls me down. 

     Why does everyone have such bad timing?

     I groan and head downstairs slightly irritated. 

     "Whatcha need, Da-" I start, but then realize Maya is next to him.

     "Maya's here," he beams. "Oh, by the way, your mother and I won't be home until later tonight. We're going out with Shawn and Katy."

     I sigh as he starts doing a little dance. 

     As Mom and Dad say goodbye to us, I look at Maya, who hasn't said a word yet.

     "Hi," I smile.

     "Hey."

     "Why are you here?" I say, immediately regretting the way it came out. "I mean, not that I don't want you here, it's just I wasn't expecting you."

     She raises her eyebrows and smirks.

     "Well, you're the only person that I really know. And I like spending time with you, so here I am."

     As she finishes speaking, I feel the corner of my lips lift into a broad smile.

     "You're cheesing so hard, Riles, relax," she laughs, poking my dimples.

     After she does that, I feel my cheeks warm up.

     "Did you just wake up?" she asks.

     "Yeah, sort of," I smile sheepishly.

     "Your bed head is so cute."