14

𝒓𝒊𝒍𝒆𝒚  

     "Bye," she softly says, shutting the door before I can say anything.

     I sit there for a few minutes, trying to process what just happened. 

     What did I just do?

     If I just stopped pushing it, she probably wouldn't hate my guts. But I didn't stop and I don't know why. I don't know why I had to help her when she clearly didn't want my help. I just didn't want her to feel the way she feels, but I only ended up making her feel worse. She's never going to talk to me again.

     I sigh and drive home. I open the door and run into Dad and Auggie, who were in a rush to get out.  

     "Sorry, Riley, had to drop Auggie off at camp like an hour ago," he quickly says and they both run out.

     "Bye, Aug," I shout and he turns to wave.

     I walk inside the house and find Mom cooking dinner in the kitchen. "Hey, sweetie!"

     "Hi, Mom."

     She smiles and turns to me. "How was your week? Did you have fun?"

     "Uh, yeah, a lot actually," I say, frowning.

     "Why aren't you smiling then? You're always smiling!"

     I fake a half-hearted smile and throw up some jazz hands, making her roll her eyes.

     "Seriously," she begins. "Is something wrong?"

     "Maya and I kinda got into a fight and it's all because of me."

     She furrows her brows. "Oh, what happened? Was it a physical fight? Oh my god, wh-"

     "No, it wasn't," I quickly say, frowning. "I'm not sure if it was even a fight."

     "Well, I'm sure you two will work it out."

     "No, Mom," I groan and grab a snack. "You don't understand. She hates me now."

     "Riley, sweetie, can you at least tell me what happened?"

     "No."

     "I don't know how to help you then."

     "It's fine, I'm just gonna go up to my room," I mumble as I lazily make my way up the stairs.

     I lie on the bed and fiddle with my ring, wondering if she took her's off. 

     Of course she did, she probably threw it away, too.

     I don't blame her if she did. Clearly, I triggered something and I might as well have ruined her entire life. I just wished I had shut up and stopped trying to fix things just so I feel like I accomplished something. The only thing I managed to do was ruin our relationship. I turned the best thing in her life into the absolute worst thing. 

     I feel tears streaming down my cheek and I try wiping them, but they just keep on coming. 

     She can't even look me in the eyes. How am I supposed to fix this?