𝒎𝒂𝒚𝒂  

     Hanging out with Josh was a pretty stupid move.

     I instantly regret what I did because it made Riley feel miserable. I hated that I was the reason for that.

     After Farkle interrupts us from almost kissing, I grab her hand and we fill out plates with dessert. 

     As I sit next to Riley, my eyes catch Shawn and Mom laughing and eating cake. 

     Seeing Mom's smile made my heart warm up. She was finally happy and Shawn was the reason for it. A small smile forms on my face as I look at the two.

     "Hey, I'm gonna get more cake," I say, getting up.

     I walk over to the cake stand and see Farkle talking to Josh out of the corner of my eye. I give him a look, trying to get him to come over here. He gets the hint and runs over.

     "Hey, Maya."

     "Way to ruin a potential kiss, dumbass," I whisper, giving him a hard stare.

     "I'm sorry! I didn't mean to. Don't hurt me."

     I roll my eyes and slice a piece of cake.

     "Are you and Riley okay now?" 

     "Yeah."

     "Why were you all over Josh, anyway?"

     "I thought it'd help me forget my feelings for her. It didn't," I reply.

     "Why would you want to forget?"

     "Why are you asking so many questions?" I roll my eyes and sigh. "In every relationship, someone always gets hurt, one way or another. And I never want to see Riley get hurt, let alone be the reason for it."

     "But what you did still hurt Riley," he frowns.

     "Shut up! I know, I screwed up," I snap.

     He backs away. "Okay, okay! Sorry. As long as you guys are okay, it doesn't matter anymore."

     I shrug. "Yeah, I guess."

     I head back to the table carrying a huge slice of cake. "Woah, Maya. Hungry much?"

     Riley smirks and I menacingly glare at her. She mouths a 'sorry' and continues eating her dessert. 

     After some interesting conversations about Auggie's little girlfriend, Ava, the lights dim. 

     "Dance time!" Auggie whispers enthusiastically. 

     I lightly chuckle and turn my eyes to the center of the room. A slow song fills the silence and Mom and Shawn begin their first dance.

     I hear Riley let out an "aw" and I smile at how happy they are together. Once the song ends, everyone applauds and an upbeat song roars throughout the room as people gather on the dance floor.

     "Riley, will you dance with me?" Auggie asks in a sweet voice.

     "Of course, buddy," she replies and stands up, grabbing Auggie's hand.

     "Maya?" she says, holding out her hand to me.

     I willingly take her hand and the three of us walk to the dance floor next to Farkle and Josh.

     "Hey, Maya." Josh smiles.

     "Hey," I quietly say, moving to the side in hopes that Riley wouldn't notice. She was too busy dancing with Auggie, though.