𝒓𝒊𝒍𝒆𝒚

     Maya asks if she could sleep over again and I have a mini panic attack.

     Words, Riley. Use them.

     "Of course!" I blurt out a little too enthusiastically. 

     She just smirks and makes her way to the other side of the bed after she changes into comfy clothes. My heart still goes insane whenever she's near, which is pretty often. She's the only one who makes me feel alive; like I'm breathing. But at the same time, she completely takes my breath away.

     Lying next to her, Lucas crosses my mind. I seriously don't remember why I even like him. He's a great person and all, but we're so much alike, we can't even keep an interesting conversation going. I realize that we're better off as friends because that's all we've been capable of. 

     As for Maya, I don't know what I feel. All I know is that I can't get enough of her; that I have to tell her I'm going crazy over her. 

     "What are you thinking about?" she asks in a soft and quiet voice.

     "You."

     She hesitates for a moment before she lets out an ethereal laugh.

     I furrow my eyebrows. "What?"

     "To be honest? I don't know. But knowing that you're thinking about me makes me so ecstatic, yet so miserable."

     "Why?"

     "I don't know, Riles," she sighs.

     Unsure of how to reply, I just lightly nod and focus my attention on my phone. It's almost 11:00 PM. I look over at Maya, who's staring at the ceiling with her hands behind her head. I decide not to say anything, mostly because I didn't know what to say.

     After idly scrolling through Instagram for 15 minutes, I lose interest. I go change into my sweatpants and tug the blanket so it covers me.

     Maya glowers as I accidentally pull the blanket off of her. She yanks it completely away from me and I frown. "Please, Maya. I'm cold."

     She rolls her eyes and tosses it onto my face.

     "Don't be fucking rude!" 

     She grins and mutters a half-hearted apology. I place the blanket evenly on top of us after I shut the lights.

     I lie on my side so I'm facing her. The corners of her blue eyes fluoresce in the dark room. She turns so she's facing me. As soon as she does this, I notice how close we are and instantly get chills.

     "Um, Maya?" I whisper.

     She looks into my eyes.

     Fuck I'm screwed.

     I try to say something, but I'm so beyond enthralled by her that I can't articulate any words. She notices my staggering expression and fills the silence. "You're the light of my life right now, you know?"