Chapter 10

The faint sound of someone playing the banjo echoed in Kate's ears. As she heard the music playing, she opened her eyes. Her vision was blurry, so she pulled out her glasses and put them back on. As she sat back up, she tried to look through the grate to see where the music was coming from.

Through the grate, she could see Boris playing his banjo. He looked a bit calm, but he had his eyes on Kate.

Kate didn't blame him, considering how the encounter between her and friends, with Boris, Bendy, and Alice, played out.

Aiden, Lukas, and Kate had tried to escape the Ink Demon. Upon reaching the lift, they came across Bendy, Boris, and Alice. The toons looked scared when they saw the humans. The humans were confused when they saw the toons. It confused the humans because seeing the toons, they saw that they didn't look threatening compared to the Ink Demon and the other ink monsters that had tried to attack them in the studio. In fact, the toons looked exactly like how they appeared, according to their cartoon posters. They didn't look horribly disfigured or terrifying. They looked friendly and charming, probably how they were intended to be portrayed.

And what they did to the humans was very different from what Sammy tried to do when he found Aiden. The Ink Demon was going to catch up the humans, and the toons looked like they didn't want to encounter it either. They ended up leading the humans to a place deeper in the studio. A place that they called their safe house.

It felt safe, except for one detail. Upon bringing the humans to the safe house, the toons decided to lock them up in a small space in their safe house. So now, Kate, Lukas, and Aiden were in a spot closed by a grate, and the toons told them that until they knew if they could trust the humans, they were stay detained.

Lukas and Aiden didn't agree to it, but Kate understood. She had convinced the guys that they were somewhere safe, which was better than what they had been in since they ended up trapped in the studio. And after a long talk, the three finally agreed that the best thing to do would be to gain the trust of the toons, because they truly did seem like they weren't evil or threatening.

And now, Kate had just woken up from getting some rest. The cell that she and the guys were in had some beds. Lukas and Aiden were still asleep. The sound of the banjo hadn't woken them up.

Boris saw that Kate was watching him. He slowly stopped playing and put his banjo down.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you stop playing," she said.

"It's alright. I'm not up for playing anyway," said Boris.

"Well, I think your music was nice," said Kate.

Boris only smiled a tad bit, as a way to say "Thank you." The wolf stood up, and he slowly walked up to the cell. He came face to face with Kate and said, "What was your name again?"

"My name is Kate. These two asleep, they're my friends, Lukas and Aiden," said Kate.

"My friends and I never saw your faces before. What brought you here to this place?" asked Boris.

"We were invited by the owner. He said he had a job offering for us. But he left us, and now we're stuck in the studio, fighting to escape," said Kate.

Boris fell silent. He had a blank expression on his face, which concerned Kate.

"Do you know why he would do that to me and my friends? We never met him before, and we know that he couldn't have known someone that we know, so it can't be a personal matter," said Kate.

Boris didn't respond.

"Sir?" she asked him.

"Nothing... just... go back to sleep if you can," said Boris.