Chapter 8

DAY FIVE

FANGIRLS

It's the most gorgeous thing Jessica Lynn's ever seen: a retro, pink rose-colored, Fender Strat. It's exactly like the one He uses. Well, almost.

Yes. For an insane amount of money, Jessica Lynn will be able to own the same guitar Turner Clarke uses on stage. Of course, she's way short, but it's going to happen. Oh yeah, someday, she's going to make sweet, sweet music with—

"Mendez! What are you doing here, girl?" Jessica Lynn jumps at hearing her grouchy boss call her name.

"Oh, hi Mr. Diaz," she says politely.

"Papi" Diaz walks towards her from one of the aisles of Papi's Disc-O. The shop is her home away from home. She's memorized every item and inch of the place: from all the instruments to each of the music albums. And thanks to her stellar work, Papi's Disc-O is spotless. The brightly lit room illuminates sparkling display cases and countertops: a sea of colorful albums extend down the walls in neat stacks while dustless CD and record players line the shelves.

"It's your day off," Papi says pointedly in his gruff, gravelly voice. Clearly, he doesn't want to deal with her. He doesn't like to deal with most people. He chooses to spend most of his time hiding in the store's back room, drinking whiskey.

"Yes, sir. I came to—"

"You're here to look at that guitar." He smirks.

His derision says it all. He thinks she'll never afford it, not with the money she makes here—but she also babysits and does some tutoring. Plus, if she gets close enough, hopefully her parents will spot her the rest.

Screw him. One day, she IS going to play that guitar. Turner Clarke's guitar.

"Yes, I am," Jessica Lynn says firmly. She won't let his condescension upset her—including the annoying, derisive snort he makes now while puffing on one of his hideous, smelly cigars.

"Well, everyone's got to have dreams." He laughs. Then he stares at the guitar too and starts mumbling in Spanish.

Jessica Lynn hopes he won't talk to her in "their native language" as Papi likes to call it. Papi may be a cranky loner but he's implied on several occasions that one of the reasons he tolerates her is because she's of Mexican descent. While Jessica Lynn's parents taught her Spanish, she doesn't appreciate using it to trash "gringos" like Papi does. Because she doesn't, Papi seems to think she isn't "Mexican enough" and doesn't embrace her heritage. He continues to try and bond with her through Spanish anyway—while also mocking her accent.

However, it looks like today he's too out of it to go into one of his long Spanglish chats. He grunts a goodbye to her, heads for the back of the store, and leaves her in peace. She's alone with her most prized possession. Or more like her almost possession.

Okay. Truth time. The most intimate part of her "sueno" (as Papi would say) is something she's too shy and embarrassed to admit. Jessica Lynn silently hopes when Someday comes, things might change for her.

Because maybe if she can play Clarke's guitar, she'll play as well as him. Maybe if she has the right stuff—equipment-wise—she'll feel like she has the right stuff, talent-wise. Is that asking for too much?

Whatever. She only wants confidence. The extra boost it will give her to hold the instrument in her hands, and know in some small way, she's like her heroes.

Wow. That truly is embarrassing! She'll never say it out loud. Instead, she'll just stare, and dream, and eventually...play.