Chapter 34

DANTE

Sky stares hard at the bare canvas and various paint palettes before him—completely at a loss. He's been in the rehab facility for a few weeks now and has been placed in an art therapy program. It's a cool idea, but Sky's never been a hands-on artist. To him, playing music is a separate avenue than painting or drawing. He glances around, seeing the other patients are faring a lot better than he is. In his perusal, he accidentally makes eye contact with the art therapist, Ms. Curtis. With that one mistake, the woman heads over towards Sky. When she notices his empty canvas, she lets out a pensive hum.

"Having some trouble starting, Sky?" she asks.

He nods helplessly, unable to fulfill the woman's expectations of his "artistry."

"I get that this is supposed to be therapeutic, but it's not my thing," Sky admits. He's not trying to be difficult but he sincerely can't think of anything to paint.

"Alright. Is there something else you'd like to do? I would really like you to express yourself, Sky." Ms. Curtis attempts to compromise. Sky wants to too, but what can he do that's healing in some way? The only thing that's ever worked is...

"Do you have regular notebook paper? I could write a song, maybe," Sky says hesitantly. Therapy or not, revealing this part of himself to a stranger is weird.

She acquiesces and quickly hands over a notebook and a pen. Sensing his need for privacy, she leaves him alone to check on the other patients.

Sky's pen hovers over the blank paper. It's been a long time since he's written a song. Some of the best advice he's been given about songwriting is that it should come from the heart. Whatever he's feeling at this precise moment is what he should compose.

Most of all, Sky's still trying to adjust to the reality of being here. The idea that this place will help him make peace with his baggage. Despite being uncomfortable, he hopes it will work. He desperately wants to achieve catharsis so he can return to his life outside the facility. He wants to return to Turner and the band, to all the people he loves.

He wants redemption.

The restorative journey he's on is the beginning of something momentous. It's the beginning to a different Sky St. James. One who can put the past behind him and learn to love himself. A Sky who can conquer his demons and overcome anything.

These realizations fill him with determination. His newfound resolve helps him choose a name for the song. A song entitled...

Resurrection.

*** Thanks for reading! Here's a little Incubus to send you on your way to the epilogue. ***