Chapter 2

---------- Chapter 2 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Edward's POV)

"Henry contacted me this morning," I whisper, not making eye contact with anyone.

"Thank god! He hasn't made any contact for almost a week!" Esme murmurs, her voice lighter than it's been for the past week. Or at least, it will be light until she hears what he said.

"Edward? Is something wrong?" my impossibly perceptive wife asks. I give her a curt nod and continue looking at the ceiling.

"Well?! What did he say?!" Nessie asks impatiently.

I look Nessie straight in the face, and she stares back, confusion on her face. "Nessie, you might want to sit," I whisper. Her warm, beautiful eyes...Bella's eyes...go wide. She nods, swallowing and sits down on the couch.

I crouch down in front of her, watching her.

"The scene was different this time," I begin. "When Henry contacted Tanya, he made the scene of the meadow. This time, I saw the tower in the Volturi Castle. I assume the room I was in was Henry's." I continue.

"He has a room?" Jazz asks sharply. He already knows where this is going.

I nod sombrely, turning back to my confused daughter. "Henry has joined the Volturi," I whisper. Gasps go around the room. Everyone freezes, the look of terror on Nessie's face is mirrored by everyone else.

"He wouldn't!" Emmett booms confidently, but when nobody else says anything to support him, Emmett looks a little unsure, "would he?"

"He did," I whisper. "He said the Volturi threatened us. He was blackmailed into joining the Volturi," I continue.

"Look at all of you! You behave as if it's a sentence!" Eleazar spits, disappointment on his face. "Henry can leave whenever he chooses! I did!"

"Tell me this Eleazar; when you joined the Volturi, did you have a family? Did the Volturi blackmail you to join them?! Don't you get it?! Henry can't leave! If he leaves, the Volturi will come after us! Henry knows this. He won't risk the family," I shout at Eleazar.

Eleazar seems to have not realised this. He seems a little chagrined. He remains silent, drifting off to the back of the room.

"What else Edward?" Carlisle urges.

"His eyes..." I trail off. How do I explain this without worrying them?

"His eyes?! What about his eyes?!" Tanya nearly shrieks.

"His eyes...they aren't Nessie's eyes anymore. They're crimson," I whisper, looking at Tanya. She looks lost, hurt...betrayed.

"No!" she moans!

"Carlisle, Henry apologised. He said he had no other choice. He tried to abstain. He said he tried to resist, but there's no food there. He...seems very upset over what he did."

Carlisle nods curtly, deep in thought.

"Anything else?" Jake whispers.

"He...promised to come home. He doesn't know when or how, but he said he will come home...he told me to tell you and Nessie not to worry. He can take care of himself. He said the Volturi won't harm him anymore."

"How could he know that?" Demetri asks curiously.

"Harm him ANYMORE?" Nessie screeches.

"Calm, Nessie, calm," I whisper, pulling her into my embrace. Her body shakes with her sobs. "Henry looks...haggard. He's...I would say Jane's been playing with him a bit." I whisper.