Chapter 5

---------- Chapter 5 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's going on?" Alec asks impatiently. I press my finger against my lips to signal him to keep quiet. I'm trying to listen in on what's going on in the house.

"They are discussing how to free me. Demetri is making the plans," I murmur, the rage in me boiling at the thoughts in Demetri's head.

But...what if this is a setup? What if Alec and Felix want me to take Demetri down? And while I'm distracted with Demetri, Alec can use his power on everyone else, while Felix wipes them out easily.

'Edward?' I whisper in my head. There's silence, while I hear Edward pacing up and down. 'Edward?' I try again.

'Henry?' I hear the gentle thought in my head, slowly flowing to me. Ah! How I've missed his voice!

'Edward. I need you to act like normal. Keep pacing,' I instruct in my head.

'Where are you boy?' he asks me back. I hear his soft tread, and I know he's back to pacing, listening to my instructions.

'In the forest. Alec and Felix are with me,' I respond, and immediately the pacing stops.

'Keep pacing Edward! I can't have anyone getting suspicious,' I think to him edging my thoughts with desperation.

'Are Alec and Felix going to attack us?' Edward asks, immediately serious, his pacing continuing.

'No. The three of us are here because of Demetri. Felix and Alec tell me that Demetri is still with the Volturi. He's trying to win your trust,' I think back to him. I can feel both Alec and Felix getting a little edgy, but they don't say anything to break my concentration.

'You think Demetri is going to betray us?' Edward asks sharply.

'I'm not sure. Either way, I'm not ready to take the risk,' I respond simply.

'You're right. Let's meet in the clearing, we will settle everything once and for all,' Edward commands.

'Okay. Be careful Edward,' I beg.

'Look after yourself, Hen. I'll take care of everyone here. And remember, no matter what happens in that clearing, we stick together,' he pleads back at me.

'Of course,' I reply automatically.

'Edward?' I think to him tentatively.

'Yes?'

'Please don't be too shocked. And...' I break off, not having to finish my train of thought.

'No matter what you look like, you came back here for your family. Nobody here will judge you, Hen,' Edward reassures me.

I feel myself relax and break into a smile. Alec and Felix eye me curiously.

"They're coming to the clearing. Follow me, the more surprised they are to see us, the better," I whisper. I straighten up, dust off my knees and lead Alec and Felix to the clearing. The three of us melt into the shadows, waiting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Edward's POV)

"Perhaps I could go into the castle myself? Perhaps they will assume I've come back. No one knows I'm working with you," Demetri suggests.

I feel suspicion colour my reasoning. What if Henry is right? What if this is the person who's been plotting to kill my family? What if he's the reason Henry was taken?