Chapter XXV

“Analeigh, darling, please come down.”

            I drop my dolls and run downstairs. I stop as I see guests in the house. My dad looks up at me which makes the old man turn around as well. I hide behind a wall and feel my cheeks burn. I don’t like it when daddy doesn’t tell me that people will come over.

            “It’s okay honey. He’s a friend.” My father says.

            I look over but only enough for me to get a peek of the man. He is old with a beard that goes into his belt. He kindly smiles at me but I don’t return it. I do not trust someone that thinks they can get my sympathy with a simple smile. I walk down but don’t stop staring at him. I stop when I’m next to dad. He pulls me on his lap.

            “Ladybug, this is professor Dumbledore. He’s here to introduce you to Hogwarts. That’s where mommy went.”

            “I know.” I say the second my dad finishes his sentence.

            I wanted to interrupt him but he was already done. I can see Dumbledore handing me pity in his expression. He should: he failed to protect my mother when she was a student. He might do the same to me.

            “It’s a wonderful place, you’ll see.” He says.

            “I told you daddy, I wanted to go to Beauxbatons with Serena.” I tell my father without giving any attention to the old man.

            Dad’s smile fades away as he looks down.

            “I’m sorry ladybug, but I can’t afford it.” He quietly says.

            I look back at Dumbledore who seems to look angry at me. I can either see anger or discuss. This man is despicable. A smile suddenly appears on his face.

            “Thank you very much for passing professor.” I hear my dad say.

            Is he really playing a little comedy so my dad approves of whatever he says? He bows down his head but stays there.

            “I’m sorry sunflower; Hogwarts is the only school I can send you to.” My father says as he gets up and goes towards the kitchen.

            I want to follow him and tell him that it’s not his fault. The only reason I don’t want to go there is because I don’t want a headmaster like him to fail me like he failed my mother. I stop when I feel the old man’s heavy gaze on me. I look over my shoulder and see him with the same filthy expression. He shakes his head in disapproval and walks out.

            I feel everything turn around me. I fall on my side as the carpet under my feet is pulled away. I knock my head in my drop.

            “I told you Analeigh: you can’t run away from me!”

            I start to laugh as I feel Fred on top of me, holding me so I can’t escape. I kick everywhere but all I can manage to do is hit the air. He takes both of my wrists and bring my arms above my head as I’m about to start punching him.

            “You’re sitting on my stomach Fred! I can’t breathe!” I say between few laughs.

            He smiles and moves his enormous but a bit lower, to my hips which makes him lean over me a little more. I gradually stop laughing when I see him staring into my eyes. Our noses are so close, I can feel him breath which tickles my skin. His hands let go of my wrists and slide up making our fingers intertwine. He leans down a little bit more. I close my eyes as his long hair is about to touch them. I wait few seconds before feeling his warm lips on mine. It makes me a bit more excited because I didn’t really know when we would finally kiss. It’s even better since I can’t move.

            Our connection is suddenly stopped. In a matter of second, his hands weren’t in mine; his lips weren’t touching mine; his body wasn’t close to mine. I sit up and see complete darkness around me. I feel pavement on the ground instead of the wood floor I was on few seconds ago. When I breathe, there’s a small cloud coming out of my mouth. The only source of light I can spot is a lamppost nearby.

            “Mom?” I hear a high and sweet voice call out.

            It doesn’t take me very long until I realise it was me who just said that. I get up and walk into the darkness of the streets even if I’m scared. My steps are slow and short but at least I’m walking. It doesn’t take long until I see what looks like a big rug lying on the ground.

            “Mom?” I catch myself say again.

            I fall on my knees and pull what’s on the ground. Once it turned, I can see a face hidden under a pile of hair. I push it away and see my eyes surrounded by older features. With a face so pale, she could be mistaken by the few inches of snow that are covering the majority of the streets. I feel my eyes tear up. I don’t feel any specific emotions but I know I’m crying.

            I bring my knees to my chest. I don’t know what to do but I know I want to sit here and never leave her side. I feel like if I do, I would be doing something bad, almost illegal.

            It’s the sound of an elevator that makes me look up. I’m in Ministry of Magic. Fred and George walk into the room I guess I just exited. The elevator leaves after I see George shaking his hand and Fred looking like he’s about to cry.

            “You’re just a monster Analeigh.”

            Don’t say this George.

            “You almost killed me Analeigh. I thought we could trust each other.”

            We can Fred. We can!

            I let out a scream and gasp right after. My forehead is covered with sweet and my knuckles are white. I let go of the chair’s handles which brings back the original colour to my hands. I stand up, filled with a power I didn’t think I would have, but end up hitting my side on a shelf filled with flasks. I turn so my back can support me instead of my shoulder. Snape walks to me and places a hand on my upper arm.

            “It’s over.” He says.

            “Nothing is over! You just reminded me of everything I didn’t want to remember! How is this helping me? You’re just a liar. A dirty liar like that fool, Dumbledore!” I say as I make my way towards the door.

            “Analeigh, please…” He starts.

            I get out and walk through the corridors without having a precise destination. He made me think about how I was fool enough to trust Dumbledore and follow him. I never wanted to but he was able to manipulate my father. Snape made me remember the most awful scene I had to witness: my mother’s death. He made me see what the most important people to me think I’m a monster. He made me see Fred the day before the Yule Ball. “You just reminded me of everything I didn’t want to remember!” Did I really regret this moment with Fred? I didn’t. I regret how I remember Fred like this but I see George scolding me. Did I make a mistake? If I know myself correctly, which I do by now, I probably did.