Chapter Two

That Noontime

Landing in NYC JJ and Hotch headed to the precinct while Prentiss and I headed to the coroners and Morgan and Spencer headed to the most recent crime scene. On the flight here another two more bodies were found, Elizabeth Stride and Catherine Eddowes. This unsub was accelerating.

"Dr. Warren?" I ask as we walk in. We both show our badges to the coroner. "I'm SSA Grosso and this is SSA Prentiss, do you mind telling us about the three victims?"

"Not at all," She says and pulls the sheets down off of two bodies. "Cause of death was the cut to the throat. Mary Ann has two cuts to her throat and the lower part of her abdomen is partly ripped open by a deep jagged wound."

"There's several incisions on her abdomen," I point out. "Same weapon."

"From what I can see, yes," She says and I nod as she covers the body.

"And what about Annie?" Prentiss asks.

"Just like Mary Ann, two cuts to the throat is COD," Dr. Warren says. "Except the abdomen is slashed entirely open and her uterus has been removed."

"But Mary Ann's wasn't?" I ask and she shakes her head no. "I remember reading about how in 1888, the Canonical Five all had different types of injuries. Like he was evolving in how he killed, I think this unsub is doing exactly what Jack the Ripper did. You can literally go to Wikipedia and find out what he did to these women."

"Our unsub is copying everything besides the fact that the victims are sex workers," Prentiss says. "We need to get back to the precinct."

*~*

"Hey Penelope," I speak into the phone.

"Watcha need, Buttercup?" She asks.

"Search for a Mary Jane Kelly in all of New York," I tell her. "This unsub isn't going to leave the area, Jack the Ripper didn't and this guy is following him to a T."

"On it," Penelope says and types for a second. "I can only find one Mary Jane Kelly, lives in Manhattan, owns a cat, works at a bookstore."

"What bookstore?" I ask. She sends me the address and I hand up the phone.

"JJ and Morgan go get her," Hotch says and they leave. "Tasie come with me."

I look at Spencer and he shrugs before I leave to follow Hotch into an office where we were alone.

"Mary Jane Kelly," He says and shows me a photo of her. She had strawberry blonde hair and hazel eyes just like I did. And honestly we looked a lot alike. "While JJ and Morgan go to get her, I need you to study this file. Learn everything about her. Then I need you to become her."

"You want me to go undercover?" I ask and he nods. "Will I be able to talk to her myself to learn more?"

"Yes, but only for a short while," He says and steps towards me. "Are you nervous?"

I nod my head after a second to think it over. I was pregnant and putting this baby in danger. But I couldn't sit around and let another girl die, when we could catch him.

"Good," He says. "I want you nervous, I want you to think that this man is coming after you, not SSA Gross, but Mary Jane Kelly. You are now Mary Jane Kelly."