Chapter 1

Chapter 1

  I woke up the way I did everyday for the last sixteen years, the only difference was the anxiety and knots in my stomach.  Today was the day we took the test.  The test that would tell us where we belonged.  Erudite, the faction that values knowledge and intelligence.  This is my faction, I've never really felt like I belonged here.  Everyone with their neat blue dress clothes, perfectly groomed hair, and the glasses.  The glasses which I know some of them don't even need them to see, they just wear them to appear smater.  "Eric!" My mother yells from the kitchen, "are you ready for your test?" she asks with a smile.  "Yes, more than ever" I reply and think 'ready to get out of here...' "Well you better get going, you don;t want to be late, and fix your hair before you go."  I slump back to the bathroom and look in the mirror at my disheveled hair and I shrug my shoulders.  I quickly walk out the door before my mother could see that I hadn't fixed my hair.  I walk down the street and catch up with the other Erudite.  We stand in line next to the other factions, Abnegation, Amity, Candor, and then there's Dauntless, who's line was empty.  Of course they don't care about being punctual. 

  Dauntless, the brave and free faction.  A loud siren rings out across the lot.  We all turn around as the Dauntless jump fearlessly out of the moving train.  I am in awe at their boldness.  They run into their line and then we proceed to go into the building.  We go in alphebetical order, so unfortunately I have a long wait.  I stand with the others wondering what the test will be like.  The sound of my name being called interrupts my thoughts. "Eric Pierce!"  I walk into a bare room with nothing but a dentist type chair hooked with wires.  There's also an older looking woman wearing Abnegation gray.  Abnegation of course are always volunteering.  She tells me to have a seat and I do.  She hands me a glass with a blue liquid in it.  A serum, I of course know all about serums being from Erudite.  We make them afterall.  I down the liquid and everything that was there is gone.  I am alone in a room of mirrors.  "Choose!" I hear a voice like my own say.  I turn and see hundreds of myself and twi stands, one of them has a knife and the other has a piece of meat.  I choose the knife without thinking.  Everything disappears and I'm alone again.  Standing there, knife in hand, I hear a growl.  I turn around and see a huge dog coming toward me.  I too run, not from the dog, but right towards it.  I tackle the dog and stab it.  Everything goes black, I am now standing on a bus, a man in Dauntless black approaches me.  "Do you know this man?" he asks me with an angered look.  My instincts tell me that I do, but I feel if I tell him I do something bad would happen.  "No" I lie, the anger grows on the mans face and he starts to come towards me, I shove him and wake with a start.  I look over at the Abnegation woman who appears to be scared "Dauntless" she says with a shake in her voice.  I get up with a smile on my face and leave the room.