Thirty One

Dinner went well

Dinner went well. Very well.

I wore my best dress. Tyler wore his best suit.

Everyone dressed their finest and we found the fanciest restaurant to eat at.

We stuffed ourselves and ate like champions.

But I am glad to be back home now.

Laying in Tyler's arms in our bed, I smile as I rub my fingers up and down his arm. "Do you think he'll stay there this time?" I ask him, as if he is able to see inside my father's head.

"I sure hope so." He kisses the back of my head. I roll over and face the ceiling, laying on my back.

"He ruined my life. At one point, we were struggling in the nursery and I thought I killed him." I recall the attack on my father in the nursery.

Tyler nods his head and plays with the hair on my head. "But you didn't Avery. He's back in jail now. We are safe."

"That's not what I'm worried about." I play with my engagement ring as I speak.

"Then what are you worried about?" He ponders.

I sigh, feeling anxious to say my thoughts out loud. I don't want the love of my life to think I am a psychopath. "The fact that I thought I had killed him and I was happy. I was perfectly content with murdering a human being. In that moment, I was no better than him. What if I become a killer like he did?"

"You felt satisfaction that you killed him because it meant you were finally safe. You didn't feel that way because you had killed an innocent man. You defended yourself successfully and you deserve to be proud of that."

I nod my head. "It just felt so good to feel him go limp in my arms. I knew I had killed him. Well, I thought I did. Clearly I didn't. But if I had, I would have been just as happy as I am now."

Tyler nods. "I think I would feel the same way if someone killed everyone I loved."

A moment of silence falls over us. "That's another thing." I whisper. I had almost forgot until he said those words to me.

"What?"

"In the moments before I tackled him down the stairs, we talked. Like human beings. He actually made me feel guilty for tricking him to come over to meet the baby." I sit up, feeling anxious as I retell the story. "I then asked him why he killed everyone I loved. He left me on the floor and I thought that was going to be it. I wasn't going to get anything else from him. But then something made him turn around. He came back in and said 'not everyone. Is Tyler home?'" I shake my head in disgust of the memory. "And it lit this fire inside of me. Had I not gotten up, he probably would have killed you next. You would have been his next victim. I have no doubt."

"Well, now no one will be his next victim. You stopped him." He pulls me closer to him. "He's going to die in prison."

I nod. I believe that he will die in prison. However, I really wanted him to pay for what he did to my life and everyone else's that he came in to contact with.

Author's note: do you think things will stay good for this family?