Thirteen

"Okay Avery. This is your 18 week appointment. Let's see what we've got here." The doctor turns the machine on and gets to work, revealing to me just how much my little baby has grown in the last few weeks.

"Okay. Everything looks healthy. Do you guys want to know the gender?" The doctor asks.

I whip my head around to look at Tyler. I can't believe it is already time to find out the gender. "Yes. But we don't want to know until later when we are with the rest of our family. So if you could just write it down in an envelope or something, that'd be great doctor. Thank you."

She nods and scribbles a word on a piece of paper. "I'll print out an image from today's sonogram and put the gender and the image in an envelope for you. I'll be right back."

I stand up and sigh, feeling relieved that everything is still going well. I am just barely in my second trimester. The first trimester is the scariest I've heard. It's when the most can go wrong.

"Okay." The doctor re enters the room as I pull my shirt down over my growing stomach. "This is for you. It's got the gender and the picture inside. Congrats on your little one."

I squeal and take the envelope from her

I squeal and take the envelope from her. I can't wait to tell everyone at home.

"Let's go tell everyone!"

Tyler drives home. Both of us are eager to open the envelope and reveal the gender of our baby. I couldn't be more thrilled to be sharing this moment with everyone I care about.

Pulling into the driveway, I feel a rush of excitement rip through me. I jump out of the car and jog towards the house.

I open the door and enter the house. Everyone is in the kitchen. "Hey." I smile as all their heads whip around to see me walk in. Tyler walks in right behind me. "What's with the family meeting?"

I enter the kitchen and see an unfamiliar face among the group. "A-Avery? This is Brandon."

"Hi Brandon." I shake his hand.

"He's my boyfriend." Pete admits, scratching the back of his neck. He is worried about how I'm going to react.

"Well congratulations Brandon. You've got quite the catch with this one." I smile as Peter's  shoulders relax.

"Well I don't want to steal your thunder, Pete, but we have some news too." I smile and hold up the envelope.

"Did you find out the gender of your baby?" Leigh asks, jumping out of her seat.

I nod and bite my bottom lip as I open the envelope. "It's a-"

Authors note: what do you think about Peter bringing home a boy?

ALSO, what do you think is the gender of Avery's baby?