Chapter 9: Midnight Kiss

The road trip gang headed to Risky Reels for a movie screening. This night would be the night that Drift and Brite would never forget. They pulled their ATK up to the drive-in and got some popcorn. Rex and Cuddles got on top of Moniker's car, while Drift and Brite stayed in their ATK. Drift was wearing the cloak and mask that Hime had made for him back in Lucky Landing. Brite thought it made Drift look cool. The two sat down together and chatted. Drift took off his mask for the conversation.

"So, Brite, what was your childhood like?" "Well, I grew up with Gunner in Tilted Towers, and I was raised by Dreamflower and Far Out Man, those two hippies. Then I moved to Pleasant Park and met Rex and Cuddles. Of course, that's just simplifying it, I've been on a lot of adventures. This is just one of them. Say, how was your childhood?" Drift's heart skipped a beat. He didn't anticipate Brite to ask him that question. Drift thought about how to put it. After a few seconds, Drift said, "I-I come from another dimension, as you may know, but... I lived a hard life. My dad died in a brawl when I was 5, my older sister left for Nebraska when I was 10, and my mom died of brain cancer when I was 15. I moved in with my uncle in Sacramento, but he didn't love me that much, so I spent most of my time in the alleyways, and for 3 years I lived without love, with only a few friends to help me through. Then, I came here, and you-" Drift stopped there. 

Brite seemed shocked. "Drift, I-I didn't know t-that you had such a hard life! Oh my god..." Brite took a deep breath in and spoke, "Drift, after the movie... I need to take you somewhere..." Drift got butterflies in his stomach. What was this for? Did she really love him back? "Uh... okay..." Drift said, nervously. 

After the movie, the  two got up and walked away. They walked until they came across a beautiful spot on the edge of the island, with the mountains in the background and the full moon shining brightly, The noise of the movie theater muffled behind them. The two walked up to the top of a small hill. "Beautiful, isn't it?" Brite said softly. "Yes, just like you." Drift replied. He only realized he said it when it was too late, and blushed under his mouth mask. Brite gasped, tensed up and paused for a moment before taking a deep breath. She seemed slightly nervous, and she took another deep breath and spoke, "Drift, I was going to wait a little longer to tell you this, but... you've gone this long without love, and... I just want to say that. I..." Brite began to tear up, and she put her arm around Drift. "I... I... I love you." It was at the very moment that it came out of Brite's mouth that Drift's fears and anxieties melted away. "R-really?" Drift replied. "Y-yes, I do," Brite said, beginning to tear up more. "These past few weeks together have been the best in my life with you, and... I-I didn't know you lived such a hard life, and... Oh my god..." Brite had her hands in her face with tears. Drift recollected himself and replied, "B-Brite... t-there's something I need to tell you..." Brite lifted her head, breathed in, and said, "Say it, I'm ready for the best... and the worst..." Drift took a deep breath, and started tearing up as well. "B-Brite... I... I... I love you too." Brite quickly embraced Drift, and muttered, "Thank you." Drift replied, "No, thank you. You helped me to love again, and you're just so..." Drift muttered under his breath, "perfect." Brite heard it. The two looked at each other and leaned in. Brite pulled down Drift's mouth mask, and the two kissed. It was the best thing they ever felt.

 It was the best thing they ever felt