the task at hand

───✱*

───✱*.。:。✱*.:。✧*.。✰*.:。✧*.。:。*.。✱ ───

AFTER A FEW HOURS OF PATROLLING, WE MADE OUR WAY TO THE ENTRANCE OF THE UNDERGROUND. With the mission repeating itself in my mind, I walked down the long abandoned stairs with Iida at my side. It was comforting to know I was not alone.

'Find this villain base, collect as much intel as possible, record the location and then get the hell out of there.'

"Are you alright?" I blink back to reality as Iida addresses me. I nod my head.

"Yeah, just thinking about the mission." I reply curtly. He nods and keeps walking. I look around and take note of the corridor. This underground path had been long forgotten, and almost never used. Thick vines hung on the wall and moss covered the ground. There were chunks of the wall missing, bricks that had been removed and smashed. It was dimly lit, and soon, there would be no light at all.

I reached into my utility belt and pulled out a flashlight. I held it loosely as I turned it on, illuminating the dark space. As we walked further, the tempreture of the room started to decrease. It could be just because this place hasn't seen sunlight in however long, but it might mean something else.

"According to the map, we should be approaching the first section. Be on your guard." He warned. I nodded as a blade slid down the inside of my arm, ready to attack at any time.

As we walked closer, a metal door stopped us. With a sharp swipe of my blade, the lock busted off, clanging loudly as it hit the floor. Iida opened the door and noise hit us in the face. Machines whirled and buzzed while a rhythmic clicking was heard. We closed the door behind us and took in the sight.

Really old computers had some sort of incrypted code while other machines made noises. I leaned over a metal chair to try and read the fast typing formulas on the monitor. I only caught glimpses of words, mostly numbers.

"Who turned all this on? It's a miracle its even working." I mutter, dusting off the old monitor.

"What do you think any of this means?" Iida says, leaning on the desk besides me and trying to encrypt the same codes. I shrug.

"I'm not sure. But, I doubt its good." He nods as he walks towards the door. I hurry after him, glad to be escaping this confusing room. We walked out the door, only to freeze. The room was empty, all for three things. Iida, myself and something huge sitting in the corner. I flashed my flashlight on it and grimaced.

It was hard to describe, but the scene wasn't pretty. In the far corner sat a monsterous looking thing. Its brains were showing, accompanied by wide bloodshot eyes, staring directly at us. It was muscular, with deep purple skin. It also had a birds beak. The beak was opened wide, and a tongue hung from it. I almost frowned.

'This shit is nightmare fuel.'

It didn't move, it just stared at us. A sinister look about it. At least it was wearing pants. Iida put his arm infront of me, as if in a defensive stance. I put my hand on his shoulder and leaned towards him.

"Maybe, if we walk silently and slowly past it, it might not attack." I whisper. I see him nod shakily. I take my hand from his shoulder and started to tip toe towards the next door. I kept my flashlight trained on the creature, as if daring for it to move. It didn't, only its eyes followed us. We made it out the door and gently closed it.

I let out a heavy pent up breathe. "Holy hell, what was that thing?" I look to Iida, to see him raise his hand to his chin. He seemed shaken, but I couldn't tell for sure because of his helmet.

"I'm not sure. It seemed to be a mutant of sorts." He said, staring at the door, recalling the gruesome experiance. I calm my nerves as I lean on the vine ridden wall.

I glance back at the door. "Whatever it was, lets just hope it doesn't stand up." I look to him and see him nod. I stand up and sigh. "You ready?" I ask. He exhales a breathe and nod.

"Indeed. Lets proceed." I walk besides him as we walk down yet another dark corridor, my flashlight beam leading the way.

We walked for awhile in silence, still trying to think about what that think was. What if there were more? I zone out as we walk. Perhaps that was an actual persons quirk? No, thats preposterous. I get stopped by an arm. I flinch as I stop walking. I look up to see Iida's gaze on me. I raise an eyebrow.

"Whats up?" I ask peering at his arm infront of me. He looked hesitant about something.

"I want to ask something." He asks. I nod.

"Ask away." I say. He removes his arm and faces me.

"Well." He pauses. "That thing... back there. Do you think its an actual person?" I lift a finger to my chin.

"Well, I thought that as well. But, no, I don't." I give a shrug. "I could be wrong, but I think it was made by someone else. And I think it had something to do with those computers in that first room." He nods thoughtfully.

"Good observation! Yes, it may have something to do with those codes." He adds. I press my lips together, a frown forming on my lips.

WE MAY HAVE WANDERED INTO SOMETHING FAR MORE DANGEROUS THEN WE BARGAINED FOR.