the underground

───✱*

───✱*.。:。✱*.:。✧*.。✰*.:。✧*.。:。*.。✱ ───

WE KEPT WALKING UNTIL WE HIT ANOTHER DOOR. This time, it was unlocked. We waltz in and stopped and winced. I was fine because of my mask, but Iida was coughing from the stench. I pat his back as he literally died in front of me.

"I-I'll be fine. Lets continue." He coughs, standing up. I shrug, debating whether he'd accept it if I gave him my gas mask. I saw that he had started walking. I jogged up to him and saw the problem.

"So... This is Hosu's sewer huh?" I say. He nods. I shrug as I feel something squishy under my boot. I remove my foot and shriek. I jump about ten feet in the air from the shock. Iida held my shoulders as I looked at the ground.

"L/N! Are you okay?" He asks hurredly. I gulp as I nod. Under my boot was a rat, a damn large one too. It was dead, but it still startled me.

"Y-Yeah. Just a rat." I say hestitantly, trying to forget that embarrassing moment. He glances down at it. I take a deep breathe. "I'm all good now, you can let go of me now." He looked up and me from the rat and quickly removed his hands from my shoulder.

"A-Ah, sorry." He says timidly. I smile and shrug.

"Its fine." I turn towards the sewer. We currently stood on a raised metal platform. There was a bridge across the cavern, but it looked old and rusted, so I doubt we'll make it across it. I sighed as I faced the inevitable. "Hooray." I mutter sarcastically. Iida caught on and followed my gaze to the bridge.

"Since the bridge is unstable, we'll have to trudge through the sewage." He said, distainfully. I hum a response as I make my way to the edge and looked down. There was slush and mud mixed in with god knows what. Honestly, it was disgusting, but terribly necessary.

Iida lowered himself and landed with a sickening splash. I suddenly really wished I had his armor.

"Disgusting." He muttered. He looked up at me. "Its fine, you can come down." He said. "I could catch you?" He said with uncertainty. I chuckled as I sat down. I turned my body and lowered myself with my hands locking onto the metal platform. I was hesitant about dropping, but I brushed the thought away.

I dropped down, also landing with a splash. I cringed as I stepped through it.

"Delicious." I mumble. I look to see Iida examining something off to the side. I walk through the shit and see what he's look at. I freeze as I peek over his shoulder. It was another one of those purple brain monsters. Only this one wasn't watching us.

He took notice of me. "Don't fear, I beileve its deceased." I let out a pent up breathe. I hear something clink somewhere in the darkness. I turn my head and look out with my torch. Nothing but filth. I turned it off to conserve battery and turned my attention to Iida. I was about to say something when he put a finger to where his lips were as he looked up.

I turned and followed his gaze to see another purple monster. I stepped back into the darkness along with Iida. It was walking on the rusted bridge from where we needed to go. It walked awkwardly as it slowly made its way towards the metal platform we were just on.

Without warning, the bridge collapsed, making the creature fall into the pit of sewage with a splash. The bridge fell on either side with a thunderous clang. I looked at Iida and thanked God we didn't take that bridge.

We sunk into the shadows as the creature layed still for a few more moments. We couldn't see it properly, but it's outline lay motionless. I took a step forward, trying to see what became of the creature. I felt a force grab my hand and tug it. I turned to see Iida. He took a step forward. He gave me a nod as we carefully walked forward, with his body shielding me.

As we got closer, we saw what had happened to the creature. In the middle of the sewage the creature lay in silence as three sharp spikes poked through its abdomen and chest. I cringed as I saw it. That could've been us if we crossed. Iida's hold on my hand tightened as he took in the view, perhaps unaware that he was still holding it.

"You okay?" I ask quietly. He glances at me before returning his attention to the now dead purple monster.

"Yes. It's just... unsettling to see this." He replies. He straightens and sighs. "Onwards I suppose." He turns to me, half his armor darkened and the other half caked in a dull light. "Since we know those things are wandering around here, we need to be careful. So!" He rose the hand that was holding mine. "I shall protect you! You have no right to refuse." He said cheerfully. I gave a small blush as I watched his tone do a one eighty.

I nod as I give a light chuckle. "Then lead the way hero." He nods as he leads me around the creature and through the sewers.