Chapter 5: Jayden And Cathryn

E V A N N A

"I don't want to stay here," I whispered to Matthew, tears threatening to escape.

"I know," Matthew mumbled. "Let's find a way to get you out, okay?"

I nodded. Matthew thought for a moment. "How well can you act?"

I frowned. "Uh... um..."

"Can you act like you have a terrible headache?" Matthew asked.

I nodded again. "I-I guess..."

"Just start crying and say you have a really bad headache... and pretend you're sick, okay?" Matthew said, helping me stand up.

"O-Okay... headache... and I'm sick... okay..."

Matthew wrapped his arm around my waist. "Start crying, okay?"

My heart fluttered and started racing, but I ignored that feeling. And it was really easy for me to cry, seeing that so many things have gone wrong.

I felt a tear fall off my face as I thought of all my friend I lost, the bullying, my dad...

We walked into the nurse's room, and the her head shot up. "Is she okay?"

Matthew shook his head. "No, she said her head hurts a lot, and she feels sick."

The nurse motioned at the chair. "Come over here, sweetheart."

"What class is she coming from?" She asked.

"Third period... English... But she said she felt like this from the beginning of second period."

The nurse took out a thermometer and put it in my mouth. "Let's see your temperature..."

I was still trying to calm down from my meltdown, even now, I felt really exhausted and drained.

The nurse threw the tip away in the trash and put the thermometer away. "Okay, you have a temperature of 101.3 Fahrenheit, so you should go home."

"She's actually sick?" Matthew blurted.

The nurse stared at him.

Matthew cleared his throat, coughing. "I-I mean... yeah... she's sick... I knew that."

She turned back to me. "Let's call your parents..."

She dialed my dad's number but he didn't pick up. She frowned. "There's no one else on your list to contact—do you have anyone you can call?"

"My brothers..." I answered.

She took the phone again. "What's their number?"

I told her as she dialed the numbers in, and waited for Ethan to pick up. I could've given her Andrew's number, but I felt bad disturbing his school work. And besides, he doesn't even have his license because he told me he's too lazy to take a driver's test. I was probably going to text him later or something.

"Hi, this is Mrs. Nelson from the health room... Are you Evanna's brother? ... Yes, I'm here to inform you that she has a fever, and she said she had a bad headache... Yes... Sure..." She said, as she handed the phone to me.