8: The Claiming of the Moon (and the Moon's Claim)

I woke up again some time later, it might have been just a couple of hours since we fell asleep. When I opened my eyes, my arms was empty and Shen Yue was nowhere to be seen-or so I thought. I was blinking my eyes open, seeing that the blinds were down around the fort. But from the gap peeking underneath one of the blinds, I'm guessing it's way later than usual. I heard a giggle just before I can panic at the loss of ,yet again ,Shen Yue. I slumped back into the pillow in relief when I peeked out to the left to see her cross legged in front of the small table packed with food.

"Good morning, sleepyhead."

I smiled in response to her greeting. She looked more alive, almost like a weight has been lifted off her shoulders. Maybe it did, maybe when she opened up to me last night, well morning, she finally released her burdens. Her eyes held that brightness to them that she once held and my heart leapt.

She gestured for me to come and I obediently followed her instructions as I got up and crossed the few meters separating us and sat back down across from her at the table.

I looked at the variety of dishes and hear my stomach grumble.

"Someone's hungry, I see," she said as she sipped her coffee and with one teasing eyebrow raised.

I scowled at her playfully, "Shut up." She just giggled as I dug in. Damn, she's definitely improved her cooking as I moan in delight at the first bite.

"Damn, Shen Yue, these are great." I try to tell her as my mouth was filled to the brim with food.

She shook her head and tsk'ed, "Aiyo, stop talking with your mouth full but thank you. I learned from the best."

She winked at me as she too continued her breakfast. I shook my head at that, "These are better than my cooking."

She shrugged her shoulders in reply. After that we continued to eat in comfortable silence and every now and then we'd talk about different things. And later when we finished she spoke up.

"Thank you." She stared at me smiling.

"For what? I should thank you for making breakfast. You didn't even wake me up to-"

"Thank you for last night." She cut me off. I paused in drinking my coffee and set it down.

"Shen Yue, you never have to thank me for anything."

She nodded, "I know." and that was that. Until I remembered something.

"Last night..." I trailed off, not knowing how to bring up our kiss. She seemed to be thinking the same thing when she blushed. But she surprised me when she got up and left me there as she went back to the makeshift bed we slept on last night. What really surprised me though was how I didn't notice she was only wearing an oversized long sleeved shirt. My oversized long sleeved shirt.

This woman is trying to test my self control. For the past years, I've been practising the art of self control whenever I'm around her. Everything she does seemed alluring and would call out to me. Drinking water? Check. Putting her hair in a bun? Check. Smiling that gorgeous smile at me? Check. Saying my name? Fucking check.

And there she was again, testing the waters I am in. I am screwed. And when she tapped the covers indicating for me to come closer, my thin self preservation almost went out the window. Almost.

I gulped nervously, praying to the heavens above to give me strength, as I sat beside her.

Here goes nothing.

----------------------------------------

SHEN YUE's POV

When I finally told him the truth last night, I felt myself lighten like a huge weight was finally pulled off of me and I can finally breathe again.