Part 27

Steven was happy, pampering Natalia as much as he could. He stayed with her most of the time. He helped her eat, took care of all her cravings and mood swings. Natalia was overjoyed with the affection she received. Not just from her husband, but also from Queen Margaret and Sharon. Both of them were happy for her and took care of her like a younger sister. They weren't envious or jealous, they both adored her.
The news of her pregnancy was kept hidden. She attended the court often but not regularly, and then as her belly grew, she stopped altogether going. There were no questions raised but people were definitely suspicious and the kingdom was already celebrating the arrival of the new prince.

Everything was well until bad news disturbed the slumber of Steven's. King Norris had waged war upon a fellow kingdom, successfully killing the king and taking the throne for his own. And the next target was Rogeria. Steven had to prepare for war. He had to protect his kingdom and his throne.

"I can go, father. You don't have to worry" Buchanan offered.

"No, son. You are my only heir. We cannot risk your life at any cost. Besides, an army is strengthened only by their king. " Steven opposed.

"But what about the queen? She needs your presence, your support. Not only is she young and afraid, but she is also in the most delicate phase of her life. Every woman needs her husband by her side when she is giving birth." Queen Margaret spoke.

"I will return before she gives birth. There is a lot of time in that for now" Steven said, "Besides, she needs to learn how to deal with everything. She is the hundredth Queen."

"She is just a child", queen Sharon said.

" I was young too when I was crowned"

"You are of royal blood. We all are. We know, we are trained from childhood for all of this. But Natalia, she is new to everything. She has suffered a lot already, Steven. You cannot leave her alone" Margaret said.

Steven wanted to stay as well, but he could not. He could not risk sending Buchanan and it wasn't a choice to let the army go on its own.

"It's final. I have to go. My queen would understand my decision" he said the final word and walked out.

Natalia was inside her chambers, getting her hair combed after a bath. She looked every bit beautiful and fresh, making Steven's heartache with the thought of leaving her alone.

"My king" she smiled wide as she saw him approach her. The maids curtsied and Steven waved them to leave. Natalia was rising from her seat but he gestured for her to stay and took the comb, smoothing her hair gently.

"My beautiful queen," he said, caressing the soft spots of her skin and leaning in to kiss her neck, " our child has brought the best of your beauty".

She blushed, putting her hand on her growing belly. Her bump wasn't very big but given her small figure, it was quite prominent.

"You look tensed my king," she said, noticing the worry lines on his forehead.

"How do you always figure out?" He asked.

She rose from her chair and faced him, touching his cheeks and looking directly into his eyes.

"Tell me, my king. What is that bothers you so much?" She asked.

Steven took her hand and kissed her palm, "You are my life partner in the true sense. You always know when I'm worried when I am sick when I lie. How do you do that?"

"Don't change the topic, my king. Just tell me" she pleaded, already scared of what was coming for them.

Steven took a deep breath and turned his face away, as he started explaining the situation. He could not face her, as he told her about leaving her when she was five months pregnant with his child.

"I hope you forgive me, my beautiful queen," he said, finally facing her again, "I am bound by my responsibilities"

Natalia took a step closer to him and took his hands in hers, "I understand, my king. Our people and our kingdom come first. I would never hold you back from your duties to serve the kingdom".

Steven kissed her forehead, " Promise me, my beautiful queen. You would take good care of yourself, and our baby, and in my absence, fulfill my duties. I know I had forbidden you to take part in court affairs until you give birth. But we have no choice anymore. You hold the highest position after me, so you take care of the kingdom when I am gone. Queen Margaret, Buchanan and the ministers would all obey and guide you. But remember the final say would be yours. You command them, not vice versa."

Natalia nodded, " I will try my best, my king," she said.

He pecked her lips gently and then hugged her, taking in her essence.

Every time he went for war, a few of his mistresses accompanied him to serve him. But this time, he went alone. The only company he wanted was of Natalia's and he couldn't take her. She was the queen and queens did not accompany kings on wars. They stay behind and serve the kingdom.

Steven prepared to leave and everyone came to bid him goodbye. Natalia tied his armor and handed him his sword, placing a kiss on the handle of the sword and on his cheek, for good luck.

"Return victorious, my king," she said, backing off.

"I shall, my beautiful queen. With your lady luck by my side. Is shall defeat our enemies easily" he bowed down in front of her and took her hand, kissing her knuckles.

Queen Margaret and Sharon, along with all the mistresses, curtsied as he marched across from them, towards the exit.

Buchanan came to stand beside Natalia and offered his arm. She looked at Steven again, before taking his arm and walking with him, as he escorted her to the throne room.

*******
OmG, after so long I got to finally update it.
Phew. Anyways, Steven had to go.
Natalia is alone.
What would happen now?
Do give your reviews.