Chapter 8

"I can't believe Jennifer got suspended." Emilie whispers walking into the office with Kyrsten "Don't worry she's still coming in." She whispers back. "What do you mean?" Emilie says raising her voice slightly above a whisper. "She got a visitors pass and is going to be following me around helping me with the technical analyst needs." Kyrsten says Emilie smiles "Kyrsten Allred you never cease to amaze me." Kyrsten smiles "Why thank you." They walk up to the round table room and there's Chief Barnes "I'm going to be observing this case." She says They nod and they see the glass doors open and Miss Jennifer Porter walks in sporting a new visitors pass. She walks into the roundtable room and sits down next to Kyrsten "Miss Porter what are you doing here?" Chief Barnes says Jennifer pulls out her visitors pass and says "I'm shadowing Agent Kyrsten Allred." Kyrsten smiles and Chief Barnes sits down. "Fine. Let's begin shall we?" Emilie stands by the screen and says "Yes we shall."
They walk into the police station in Colorado. "Darren Christiansen was found crossing the state line. We had roadblocks in place the second we heard." The police chief says. They nod and Emilie says "Have you had any new missing persons?" He shakes his head "We had it on the media we just said that he is armed and dangerous and to stay inside." Emilie nods and says "I need to get to the media when can you set up a press conference we need to keep him in state lines or else we will lose him forever." Kyrsten sits down in the spot where they had said they can set up and immediately starts surfing through all information on Darren to see if they missed something.
"Media is here." Emilie nods and walks outside to the stand in the front. "Today we are looking for Darren Christianson. He is armed and very dangerous. We warn everyone to stay inside. If you must go outside stay groups. He isn't very confident so he won't attack groups of people but will take advantage of anyone who is out alone." Emilie picks up the picture provided and shows it to the cameras continuing "Call the FBI tip line if you see this man. The number should be appearing on your screen. Thank you." She gets off the stand and walks back inside the office. "I knew we were missing something!" Emilie hears Kyrsten exclaim Emilie walks into the room and sees Jennifer looking over Kyrstens shoulder to the screen "Found something?" She asks looking at the screen as well. "Yes! It turns out that Darren was married and it apparently wasn't legal so that's why it never showed up the first time." Emilie smiles and says "Great Job! Do we have a picture?" Kyrsten pulls a picture and she looks exactly like his victims. "She left him, that's what made him start killing he wanted her back and she must of just disappeared so this is his way of getting back at her." Jennifer says Chief Barnes glares at Jennifer "Miss Porter you are suspended you can not help." She rolls her eyes and says "Miss Barnes you have a sadistic serial killer on your hands so if you want to find him I would think that you would like my help." She glares once again and walks away. Krysten laughs and Emilie leans against the door. "Cutting it close Jennifer." She says Jennifer nods and says "As long as I have Kyrsten's permission I can do anything to help." Emilie nods and turns back to the door "Coffee?" Kyrsten nods and Jennifer says "No thanks I have some." She nods to her cup and Emilie smiles and walks out of the set up room and towards the coffee machine.
Police drive by their rounds again and Derek rolls his eyes. "He's going to see the police cars and is going to jump state lines again!" Charlie shakes his head "Derek we have the whole state of Colorado on alert no one is getting in or out." He nods rubbing his temples. "Let's go back inside I'm done waiting out here." Charlie nods and they walk inside. "Hey I was about to call you! Our hotel rooms are ready if we want to go catch a few hours of sleep." Kyrsten shuts her laptop and says "Good I'm so done looking into this sadistic mess." Emilie laughs and Jennifer smiles.
They make their way to the hotel and Derek whispers to Jennifer "Hopefully we don't have to double up again." Jennifer smiles and then remembers back to that night where Aaron comforted her. Her smile fades as she thinks about him and how he was the only one who understood her and protected her. Derek pulls her in a side hug and says nothing and that's all Jennifer needs.
The next morning they wake up, get coffee, and head immediately to the station. They walk inside talking over the details of the case and when they get past the main room the sight shocks all of them. "That's quite an escalation." Derek whispers Kyrsten shakes her head sadly and Emilie walks to the phone and calls the crime scene unit. Jennifer turns around to face the team "I don't care if I get my credentials taken away forever we need to find him fast." Emilie puts the phone down and they grab their vests from the set up room and leave the scene of bloody bruised cops.
Jennifer's phone rings again and she declines and puts it on silent. "Kyrsten where did you say the last victim was dumped he might be visiting there." Derek asks Kyrsten opens up her laptop "Boulder." Derek turns on the lights and pulls off of the highway. "Street address?" He asks "2133 boulder drive." she responds Derek turns on the street and they jump out of the cars and run inside the house. It's all quiet and extremely nice. "We knew he was organized but we didn't plan for him to keep a safe house this nice." Derek whispers. Jennifer kicks down the bedroom door and sees the familiar face of Darren Christensen covered in blood.
They walk out of the house that the crime scene unit has taken care of. "Severe blunt force head trauma." An officer says walking out. Chief Barnes walks up to Jennifer and says "You are so lucky that this worked out or else you wouldn't be getting these back." She hands Jennifer's credentials back and Jennifer smiles and Chief Barnes says "I will not be taking the jet with you back." They nod and as soon as she's out of earshot Jennifer and the team cheers. "Let's go back home." Emilie says, Jennifer smiles and looks to Kyrsten who's typing on her phone. "What's up?" she asks Kyrsten rubs her eyes and says "Just texting my girlfriend." Jennifer smile grows and she nudges Kyrstens shoulder, "You have a girlfriend!" Kyrsten snaps up and exclaims "I said that out loud!" Jennifer smiles and nods. "Come on we have a lot of talking to do. I want to hear all about this girlfriend."
They land in the airport and finds their go bags in the luggage area. Derek taps Jennifer's shoulder and points toward one of the terminal gates. "Oh my god Aaron." Jennifer whispers Emilie smiles and whispers "Go get him girl." Jennifer smiles and Aaron sees her. Her feet pick up speed as she drops her go bag with Emilie and runs up to Aaron. She practically leaps into his arms. She wraps her arms around his neck and he wraps his around her waist. "Don't ever do that to me again, you scared me to death!"  she starts to tear up and Aaron says "Oh don't you cry Jenn, I hate it when you cry." Jennifer chuckles and he let's go "I've been meaning to do this for a while." He says Jennifer let's go and he gets down on one knee "Oh my god." Jennifer gasps, "Jennifer Mae Porter. I don't know what it was that made me fall for you. Maybe it was your laugh, or eyes, or smile. It could have been your hair, or your personality, but whatever it was. It made me fall and I fell, like raindrops on a stormy day. So I must ask if you, Jennifer Mae Porter, will marry me?"
    Love, like art, must be set free. -Unknown