Chapter 1: Monachopsis

Monachopsis : an odd persistent feeling of being out of place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'Oh come on Jason. Just shift.'

I glance up at my brother Hunter's patchy brown wolf and roll my eyes. I hate when he uses our mind link. It is just another reminder that we are not your average boys. We are werewolves.

A yellow and gray wolf comes out of no where and pounces on my brother's back. I'm grateful for Heidi's interruption. I know my brother can't resist his mate and I'm in no mood for an argument.

My brothers, Hunter and Rhys, had assured me that if I came along to the woods with them, they wouldn't pressure me to shift. So I grabbed my best friend Ian, forced him to promise to stay human and trudged along with them to the woods behind the pack house. I had hope that they would keep the promise this time, but to no avail. Leading me to be stuck sitting on a large log watching them run and hunt.

Ever since I was little I hoped and prayed that some mistake would be made. I swore to my parents that somehow I'd be one of the rare one in a million humans born to two werewolves. They always laughed and shook their heads. They promised me I'd grow out of it.

But I didn't.

So on my eighteenth birthday when I woke up with an incredibly high fever, I panicked. I locked the door to my room and didn't leave for the rest of the day as the painful process took me away. That night my brothers broke open the door and dragged me outside under the moon. My father is our pack's Alpha and everyone loves him, so of course the rest of the pack came out to watch as well. They couldn't wait to see what their Alpha's son looked like when he shifted. To make matters worse, when I finally gave in and shifted, my coat was a bright snow white.

To everyone else this was amazing. A pure white coat wasn't common in any pack so the fact that I had no speckles at all, brought me even more unwanted attention. Two months later and everyone still begs me to shift. As if neglecting to switch to my wolf state will make the white coat disappear.

However, I continue to refuse. I wanted to go to a normal high school, live in a normal neighborhood and have a mom who drives a soccer van. I didn't want to worry about pack treaties and Alphas. And mates.

But I'm cursed to live this life instead.

Someone tackles me to the ground and when I turn to make eye contact with the copper wolf, he licks my face. I shove Ian's muzzle angrily, but he is obviously much stronger and barely bats an eye. He climbs off and shifts back to his human form.

"Awww come on Jason! You're no fun." he laughs and pushes my shoulder.

"I can't say running around like idiots and murdering animals is my idea of fun." I respond rolling my eyes.

Rhys comes up behind me and ruffles my dirty blonde hair. I swat his hand away in annoyance and run my fingers through it.

"Give him a break." he laughs and begins walking back towards the pack house and the small cabins surrounding it.

"You haven't shifted in so long, we don't even know if you can anymore!" Hunter says approaching us as we make our way out of the large fir trees.