Chapter 2: Pâro

Pâro: the feeling that no matter what you do, it is always somehow wrong—as if there's some obvious way forward that everybody else can see but you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wake up to a loud pounding on my door. This time I remembered to lock it, but now there isn't a small, innocent girl behind it. Now there is a large, angry Alpha.

I groan and drag myself out of bed. My feet hit the cold wood floor and I can't help but gasp slightly in surprise. I rush over to the door and open it a crack.

"It's 12 o'clock." my father growls, his eyebrows angled sharply.

I stare at him in confusion.

"The other pack is coming in thirty minutes and you told me you would be ready." he crosses his arms impatiently.

"And I will." I insist.

He pushes the door open and I stumble backwards.

"Then come on." he points down the hallway.

"Fine. Let me get dressed at least. Gosh." I say and he walks down stairs.

I walk to my bathroom and turn on the shower. While it warms up I go and pick out a gray pocket shirt and jeans. I go back into the now steamy room and step into the water. Sighing as it hits my cool skin. My muscles relax as I wash myself and get out.

Once I'm dressed I make my way down the hallway, checking the time on my phone as I reach the top of the steps. 12:15 pm. I have fifteen more minutes.

"Nice of you to join us." Dean says with a chuckle.

Rhys ruffles my damp hair as always and smirks at me.

"Shower just in case your mate comes?" He asks me and wiggles his eyebrows.

I duck away from him and slip into the kitchen.

"Even if they're here, I'm not talking to them." I say and open the fridge.

My mother rushes over to me and shuts it.

"What are you doing? They're almost here!" she scolds.

"I haven't eaten yet!" I argue and throw my hands into the air.

"Well you should have gotten up earlier than." Heidi says rolling her eyes, but hands me the other half of her sandwich.

I thank her with a smile and take a bite greedily.

"I expect everyone to be on their best behavior." my father says fixing the sleeves of his dress coat and looking at me.

"I mean I could always just stay in my room." I taunt.

Hunter rolls his eyes and throws a dirty napkin at me. I turn on my heel and glare at him. My father picks the napkin up off the floor and places it into my hand.

"Best behavior." he emphasizes the words and walks into the dining room to talk to Dean.

I throw the napkin away and sit on top of the island. Hunter and Heidi sit at the stools next to me. I swing my legs impatiently and look at Hunter who's grinning at me strangely.