Chapter 5 - Face-Off

Wings beating furiously, wind whistled through fur and feathers. Sky roared full volume at the former rider of her's, Soren lowered to his stomach on her back... ready for a high speed battle. The dragon who Sky's former rider flew upon howled, and Sky matched it's challenge with a howl of her own.

"Prepare yourself Soren! This is going to get mega CRAZY!" Sky warned him, and without checking to see if he was ready, she dove beneath the enemy dragon and flipped in a barrel roll and clawed at it's hide. Soren gasped when he saw it did nothing, and the rider laughed in triumph.

"You cannot beat me foolish rider! Sky, is THIS who you choose as my replacement?! He's a fool! Worthless other-world scum!" Something in what he just said fired up Soren, within him he felt new power surge... and he raised the bow and arrow-filled quiver Talia air-dropped, and shouted an incantation and the arrow flew and burst into flames. Wide-eyed with surprise, the Dark Rider And his Dark dragon dodged, but Soren made it follow them with swift movements of his finger. Lance cheered in admiration, and punched the rider he had's face and jumped to land on Duststorm.

"Impressive display of skill, for scum. But that is nothing compared to what I CAN DO!" Sky roared, but not to the rider.... but to the dragon telepathically.

Dragon brother! Why do you obey this man?! He is enemy!

It is YOU who fight for enemy, sister! It is you who must understand!

Never! I'd DIE before I rejoin the Dark Riders!

This is why Sky had roared, a battle-cry to arms. Duststorm, Stormchaser, Oakwood, fell behind Sky in a battle formation. Howling, dark rider dragons dove behind their leaders, and they clashed in mid-air duels! The rider atop their dragon counterparts clashed Dark Riders with swords and spells. Soren and Lance, with Sky And Duststorm, converged on the Dark Rider... but a screech That Sky remembered, then a black and red dragon charged into Sky, sending Soren plummeting to the canyon floor far, far, below. Thanks to Lance and Duststorm, Soren's life was saved! The black fire dragon was squaring of against Sky, when the four got back up into the sky... and Sky recognised her, it was her close friend, Ember.

"Ember! You dare?! Why?!"

"Don't kill him Sky! Isn't he your rider?"

"No longer! You nearly KILLED my rider!" Sky yowled, pointing at brown-haired Soren on Duststorm. Duststorm soared above her, and Soren timed the jump prefectly, and landed correctly on Sky's back. Ember looked at young Soren, who stared at her with forgiveness.

"B-but.... how? You can't-" Ember shrieks in pain from her rider's cruel whip, and Sky scowls at the Dark Rider And fires a sonic blast, knocking the rider into Ember's flaming tail tip. Lance whoops, and Sky turns and flys up to join Duststorm, Lance, Talia, Stormchaser, Rollan, And Oakwood... with the back-up Rollan had summoned for!

"Still think you can win?" Duststorm challenged, mockingly. The dragons scowled, and Ember gasped at the amount of riders Sky now called allies... many more than she'd had ever seen of riders before! The Dark Riders backed up, and they retreated hastily. The Dragon Riders cheered in victory, Duststorm butted head's with Oakwood, and Sky howled in tune with Stormchaser. The headmaster had come with the back-up, and he was clapping.

"Well done, Soren, Sky, Lance and Duststorm! You did well standing up to THAT many Dark Riders at once! Let's go home! The other, and ALL but Corona and Winter, are waiting for you four! You all passed initiation!" Lance and Soren whooped in success, and Duststorm cheered with them and Sky as they flew back to the School for Dragon Riders.

The entire crowd was cheering, the entire initiation riders were standing on stage with their dragon friends as Soren and Lance atop Duststorm and Sky landed with a victorious thud. Hearts-racing, all the young riders waited patiently as the Headmaster addressed them all as:

"OFFICIAL STUDENTS OF THE SCHOOL FOR DRAGON RIDERS!"

Senior Dragons And Riders cheered and congratulated their new friends and comrades, with playful punches and head scratches. Marine squeezed Duststorm and Sky, as the two gasped for air beneath her strong grip. Soren and Lance glanced nervously at the woman who was Marine's rider, her name was Maria, and she just telepathically said

Just roll with it!

Oakwood And Stormchaser came over and playfully punched and and squeezed the two younger dragons, who bested them in a chase, and Talia and Rollan came over and congratulated Soren and Lance.

"Well done passing initiation, newbies!" Rollan teased, making Lance and Soren burst out laughing.

"Come, we'll show you around the school! Heard you two already got your place, aye?" Rollan asked, grinning. Lance nodded, slinging his arm around Soren.
"Well come on already! Yo Oak! Show Sky and Duststorm 'round with Stormchaser too will you? Me and Talia will show these two rug-rats the school ourselves, okay?" Oakwood hrrs in agreement. Hrring is a sound dragons make when they are happy or pleased. Nudging Sky and Duststorm along, they bring them through the dragon-side entrance, while Talia and Rollan lead them down the rider-side.