Chapter 1 - Meeting my Future Rider

Sky's eyes shakily and wearily opened, after the shock of the spinning portal and the attack on her way through. All she saw was a thin slit of sky blue and lush green grass... and the shadow of a human looming over her. She didn't recognize the human as a human, she was too disoriented. There was a relaxing breeze in the air, carrying the relaxing scent of the countryside on it. And there must've been a river nearby, she could hear the running water over stone and smell the fresh, cleanliness of the water from her current location. Leaves rustled overhead, she must be under a tree or something, she quite liked the dappled patterns created by it's shadow. Then her head cleared along with her vision, and the boy finally came into clearer view. Sky leapt onto her feet with a snarling hiss, after a few quiet moments of thinking and awkward blinking at him. 

"Who are you?!" she roared, wings flared out and long tail curved over her head.                    Wisely, the boy was obviously spooked and recoiled away, and Sky felt a small spark of pride. Getting a better look at him, while she waited for a response, she noticed the boy must've been no younger or older than 12 or 13. His clothing wasn't at all familiar, then she remembered the portal. She wasn't in her own world... she was in his. The boy also had brown hair, not an uncommon color for hair... and blue eyes, reflecting Sky's own. He flinched away in fear, when she looked so deeply at him. "Answer me, human." 

"S-Soren! I mean you no harm! Unlike... whatever must've caused that gash on your tail. It-It's probably not a good idea to strain yourself with that injury. I did my best to try and patch it up." he stammers, pointing a shaking hand at her tail. Turning her head, she spotted a white fabric wounded around her tail, it was a little tight... and there was a little bit of blood visible. She gave it a weary sniff, trying not to wince when it hurt to move her tail closer. There was the scent of dry blood... how long had she been out? Looking back at the boy, who froze up when she turned back around, Sky gave him a hesitant nod. 

"I guess I owe you a thanks... Soren." and she sat back down, not taking her eyes off him. He seemed a little amazed and curious behind that fear, but Sky didn't focus on that. It could all be a guise, and he may be an enemy to her.

"Umm..." he began to speak again, obviously hesitant. "You shouldn't stay here. My father may find you, and he doesn't take too well to a d-dragon on his property. There's actually a river further at the back, nearby... it leads out of the property, you'd be safer there... I think." Sky gave a glare, but she considered it. She didn't want more people knowing she was here. "There's fish in it too. I guess, you could eat that if you're hungry..." he added. Then they froze when they heard yelling. 

"SOREN! SOREN! WHERE ARE YOU?! COME BACK HERE THIS INSTANT!" yelled a very, VERY angry man. Presumably his father.

"Father's coming! Go! Hide! Don't fly or he'll see you, just RUN! Go to the river, he never goes there!" Soren urged, whirling to where his father was running up the hill. "Go!" Something about him made her trust his word, and she ran quickly and as silent as she could without making much noise or lifting off the ground.

 The river was closer than she thought, and she could still see Soren on the hill when a man came running up it and dragged him back down the other side. He cast one last look before he disappeared over the side. She gave him a careful look, and bounded downstream, covered by the trees. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

The night-sky was beautiful, just like back home. Sky had run far down stream as fast as she could before she tired. Fortunately, there was a thick bunch of trees which she squeezed between and made a makeshift nest there. This would be her new home... for now. She caught a few of the fish in the river, they were quite delicious actually, and nestled down in her nest, gazing up at the stars. She didn't know where she was, but she believed she'd be safer here than back in Kelekonia. Kelekonia... her home. Sky felt a pang of shame when she barely remembered her own homeland... or the few friends she had there. So she spent the hours, trying to fall asleep, remembering what she could.