The Coffee Shop

"Let's go." Audrey says, linking arms with Mena and started walking to the coffee shop that's not too far away. I decide to wait for Benjamin. I tap my foot on the ground and look around, there was a flock of birds flying in and out of the trees, they were in perfect sync. It looked so majestic.
"Come on Jellybean." He says, also linking arms with me. The book store is at the bottom of a hill, it's not really steep, but the coffee shop if at the top of the hill. I wouldn't say it was a long walk, but it was in between long and short.

We walk arm in arm to the coffee shop, Drey and Mena already halfway. They aren't bothering to wait for us. To be honest, Drey is more closer to Mena than me, while Benjamin is closer to me than Mena. It just works that way.

"So..." Ben starts. He doesn't finish his sentence.
"So... what?" I press him into telling me.
"How are you and Jay going?" He asks me, giving me a sideways glance. For a second I didn't know how to answer.
"We're doing good. I'm supposed to meet him after Mena and I get home." I reply, looking straight ahead. It's getting awkward.
"That's good to hear. As long as he's looking after my little sis." He turns his head to face me and gives me a wink, his dimples showing through his smile. I gently elbow him in the ribs, earning myself a light punch to the shoulder. It's good to see him again.

The last time I saw him was at graduation. And we haven't really seen each other since then. That was almost a year ago. It's good to catch up.
"Of course he is." I reply, turning my head to look out at the fields. It's beautiful here. Very peaceful. I could live here if I had the money to move. Mena could move in if she wanted. I wouldn't mind.
"That's good." He says, looking at his watch. "You've still got time."
"Oh phew!" I wipe my forehead for a dramatic effect.
"Come on slow pokes! It's going to be nighttime by the time you get here!" Audrey calls to us, Mena opening the door and walking in.
"We're coming!" I call back, picking up my speed. I'm speed walking and he's doing a brisk walk. It's not fair how I've got short legs and he's got long ones.

We reach the coffee shop and head inside. I see that Mena and Audrey are sitting at a table at the far back of the room. The huge window behind them letting all the light in, the room doesn't need the lights on for it.
We slide into the spare chairs and I look out the window.
"Let me guess, plain black coffee for you two?" The voice sounded familiar. I turn to see who had spoken. It was Hunter. Great. I roll my eyes. He was gesturing between Audrey and Benjamin.
"You guessed right." Audrey says, her cheeks going red.
"I'll have that too please." Mena says, looking as uncomfortable as I am.
"Ok." He looks up from his notes and freezes in place. His eyes locking between Mena and I. "W-what would you like?" He says, looking at me.
"I'll just have water thanks." I reply shortly.
"Ok. Won't be a sec." And with that, he turns on his heels and walks behind the counter where the coffee machines are.

"I didn't know that you guys knew Hunter." Benjamin states, looking at Mena and I.
"How could you tell?" I ask.
"Well for starters, you two looked like stunned mullets when you saw him. And second, he froze when he saw you two too." He says, gesturing his arms between us.
"It was very obvious." Audrey says as well.
"Ok ok, we get it." Mena says, obviously sick of it.
"So, what's the deal? How'd you guys meet him?" Benjamin asks, leaning his elbows on the table, his chin resting on his hands.
"Well, it was my boyfriend's birthday, and Jordie and I were at Bunnings looking for balloons and gifts. He saw Jordie and tried to get with her even though she said that she was taken. Then Jay turned up and scared the absolute crap out of him. He was practically glowing." Mena explained to Audrey and Benjamin.

I remember that day. Jay was practically glowing. Everything about him. Even his eyes changed to a golden colour. He was very protective that day. He was that furious with Hunter that he was about to beat him to a pulp. But we stopped him.
After that day I was glad to get away from Hunter, I never wanted to see him again. I don't even want to be near him. I guess this is my lucky day.