Ten

It had been an another week. She had stopped bleeding. Her small pooch was gone... but the hurt was still there. She missed her baby.

Amelia was feeding Nathaniel spaghetti squash when her phone buzzed. She looked over at it with a fleeting bit of hope, but deflated when she saw it was Jonah.

"Milly! It's been too long," Jonah greeted her. He was always happy, and Amelia tried to mimic his cheerfulness.

She failed.

"Jonsy!" she said listlessly. She did not want Jonah to murder Christian, but she was really not feeling it.

"Milly. What happened? Are you okay?" Jonah's tone changed immediately, always able to tell when his best friend was in pain.

"Yeah I'm totally fine, Jonsy. My husband left me high and dry, my son is sick, and Ihadamiscarriage," she blurted out emotionlessly. Fuck. Fuck. Goddamnit.

"I'll be up in 8 hours. And I'm killing Christian fucking Yelich," Jonah growled, instantly booking his ticket out of Miami.

"Jonah please... don't. It doesn't matter. It's nothing," she sighed. Her problems were nothing. She was nothing.

"It does, Amelia. You're in a massive amount of pain and you need support. For Nathaniel," Jonah said quietly. "Do you need me to bring anything?"

Amelia didn't deserve this kindness. She killed her baby... she failed. She didn't deserve kindness.

"No I..." almost immediately after opening her mouth, shattered sobs escaped her body, terrifying Nathaniel. "I just want my husband back. I want my baby back... I want my happiness back, Jonah," she sobbed.

"I'm on my way, Milly. As soon as I can. You focus on buggy. He needs his mama and his mama needs him, okay?" Jonah said softly, hearing how broken she was. "Maybe go over to Travis and Lindy's and I'll pick you up when I get up."

"Okay... I'm so unbelievably sorry..." Amelia sniffed, smoothing back Nathaniel's waves.

"Shush," Jonah said softly and hung.

***

Amelia got to Travis and Lindy's house about 20 minutes later, giving Travis a warm hug.

"You okay? What can I do to help?" Lindy asked softly, knowing not to take Nathaniel. He was her rock.

"I just want to get some sleep, but I don't think I can be alone, you know?" she said softly. "The condo doesn't feel like home anymore... Nothing feels right," she said with a shrug, putting Nathaniel in the Pack n Play in the guest room.

"You're always welcome here, Mils. It's late, though. You need to get some sleep, okay?" Travis suggested firmly, handing her a cup of lavender and chamomile tea.

"Thank you, Travis. I know it must be annoying seeing your best friend's pathetic wife crying all the time," she berated herself, taking a sip of the tea.

"Amelia. Right now I'm on your side. He was wrong and you are hurting. It isn't pathetic. You aren't pathetic. You are strong," he said firmly, almost like a father. He gave her a tight hug then took Lindy's hand. "Sleep well. You know where to find us if you need anything, got it?"

Amelia gave him a small, yet emotionless, smile. "Thank you," she said again, shoulders deflating when they left the room. She knew she wouldn't get much sleep. She never did. But at least she felt safe and wanted at this house... the condo was just so cold without Christian.

She made it to about 11:30 before she needed to pee, getting up and sneaking to the bathroom quietly. She went in to do her business and couldn't help but overhear the conversation happening in the bedroom next door.