Twenty-Eight

Christian texted her until the pilot told them to put their phones on airplane mode, then turned it on seconds before they were allowed. The flight was only an hour, but that was an hour too long. He called Amelia immediately, heart racing in his chest.

He kept thinking back to those papers. God did it hurt knowing he screwed up so badly that she didn't even want to be married to him at one point. He needed to hear her voice. He needed proof that it was real and that he really got a second chance.

"Chris? Is everything okay?" Amelia answered immediately.

"Perfect. I missed your voice," he said softly, his heart warming at the concern in hers. "How is my girl and our three boys?" he said with levity, a stupid smile all over his face.

"Just watch it be two girls. Imagine that - two lil princesses," Amelia laughed, teasing him gently and feeding Nathaniel his dinner.

"I love them already. With my whole heart," he sighed happily, not even paying attention to Jesus and Orlando calling out to him to go clubbing. "What is my beautiful wife up to?"

"Feeding buggy his dinner. I can already tell how much he misses you," Amelia frowned.

"I'll FaceTime right away when I get to the hotel. Are you feeling okay? Cleaning out your cut and resting?" He sat in the back, just so happy to be talking to her... He saw her car. It's a miracle that Amelia and their babies were okay. Her car was totaled. If Nathaniel... he couldn't think about it. He was already panicking a bit.

"I'm okay, Christian. I cleaned my cut an hour ago and Nate and I have been cuddling and looking at nursery ideas... and thinking about reactivating my instagram," she said softly. She deactivated it almost immediately after he left because she didn't want to hear the comments or see any of the photos women would send her.

"Do what you're comfortable with. I love you, Amelia. I have to go for a few minutes while we eat and check in. I love you," he said again, seeing Counsell glare at him.

"I love you, too," she said softly and hung up, gently kissing Nathaniel's temple. "Daddy will be home soon, baby boy," she assured the boy, even if she was terrified.

***

Christian sighed, annoyed at how long it took them to eat.

You still up? I know it's bug's bath time but you've been sleepy lately and I don't want to keep you up. You need to rest and grow our beautiful sons :*

He texted her after having changed into a Positive Vibes hoodie and joggers. Amelia had been exhausted the last couple days, so he didn't want to keep her up.

I'm up.

Amelia's reply was short, trying not to think about all that could've happened in the last 3 hours.

Immediately, her FaceTime lit up with Christian's smiling face.

"Hello beautiful," he said softly. "I won't be long, I can see how sleepy you are. I just wanted to see your beautiful face. Are you feeling okay?" He said in a rush, sitting cross-legged like an excited middle-schooler.

"I'm okay... What took so long?" She smiled softly, seeing the excitement on his face.

"Counsell decided to have a team meeting during dinner. I'm sorry, my love."

Amelia saw the despair on his face and couldn't help smile. "It's okay. I'm just happy to see your face. Have an amazing game tomorrow, okay? We'll be cheering for you."

"Thank you, baby girl. Get some sleep," Christian saw the exhaustion clear on her face.

"Daddy??" Oh god if that wasn't the sweetest sound in the world... "Daddy read bedtime? Fishies?"