22

Alex's POV

As I'm walking Madeline back to daycare, I hear an earpiercing scream that I know belongs to Amber, and I can't help cringing, knowing the pain she's going through. Haven't we suffered enough in this family?

Dylan's POV 

Amber passed out not even a minute after Karev left to take Madeline back to daycare. I've finished putting the chest tube and am just putting the last stitch to hold the chest tube in place. Her breathing is much better already, but her heart is what's really worrisome if they don't get us out of here soon. She's pale, and the blood pressure in her arms is still different. Hopefully, they're right, and we'll be out of here within the hour. I finish her stitches and clean up the bleeding from her torn stitches and the other scrapes she gathered in our fall. I sit back exhausted and decide to rest my eyes.

...

"Dy-Dylan c-can you hear m-me?" I distantly hear a voice, what seems like seconds after I shut my eyes.

"Yeah?" I ask as I start to sit up groaning.

"No!" I hear a chorus of people yell at me, and I freeze looking at AJ who is staring at me pale with her wide eyes glistening with tears and a huge handful of gauze. "What?!?" I ask.

Chief Bailey begins speaking, "Dylan, you've been unconscious for the last 45 minutes. Rescue crews are here. However, the elevator is still very unstable so the rescue will be bringing you guys through the hatch which will require a lot of movement on your guys' part-"

"Okay I'll help AJ-" I start to say.

"No, you won't," AJ says, and I'm happy I can hear that her breathing is back to what it was before her lung collapsed. I guess I did alright. I focus back in on her. "Dylan you- I was too out of it before to see, but you- just look at your chest and don't freak out please."

"Can someone please come and take this gigantic shard of glass out of my chest? Please," I say trying not to panic and move and become the next star of 1000 ways to die with "Death by glass shard

"Can someone please come and take this gigantic shard of glass out of my chest? Please," I say trying not to panic and move and become the next star of 1000 ways to die with "Death by glass shard." 

"Don't worry new kid I've finally arrived, and I'm brilliant," I hear a voice above me, and AJ gasps recognizing the voice.

"Yang?!?" AJ exclaims.

"Hey mini spawn. You know you could have just called if you wanted to see me. You didn't have to go and almost get yourself killed again. Watch out I'm coming down," I hear the Cristina Yang, the renowned heart surgeon, say before she's coming down a rope ladder quickly into the elevator with us. As soon as she lands, she's checking on Amber and the chest tube before moving on and looking at my chest over and the glass shard. Without a word, she grabs two handfuls of gauze. With one hand she yanks the shard out before using the other to pack the wound. 

"Fuck," I hiss, "A little warning would have been nice," I grumble. 

"Silence, new kid. It's safer to move you out of here without that in your chest. Don't want it pushing in farther. It's a small nick, a few stitches on your heart, and you'll be fine."

"Not everyone thinks a few stitches to a heart is minor you know," AJ tells her.

"Not everyone has me as their doctor." After that, Dr. Yang shouts to the rescue crew, and they quickly begin working to pull us out.

Alex POV

"No want sissy!" Madeline exclaims as I'm carrying her back to daycare.

"I know Mads but sissy is...too busy right now. We will see her later." I continue trying to distract her, "We're going to hang out together for a little while, and we'll have fun and... cake," I finish when I spot a birthday cake sitting in the lounge. This is perfect, kids love cake.

"Cake?!?" she asks excited. She's so adorable. I can't believe I've missed out on being a part of her life until now, her and Amber's life. And now Amber is- No I snap myself out of wallowing. Amber sent me off to distract both me and Madeline. Madeline doesn't need to worry. 

"Yup cutie we're going to have a huge piece of cake."

"Whoa," she says.

"Yeah whoa, but after you have to promise to be a good big girl and stay at daycare until I come and get you okay?"

"No daycare," she says with a cute little pout.

"No daycare no cake."

"Cake!"

"Then you have to go to daycare okay mini-might?" I say sitting us down with her my lap and a piece of cake in front of us.

"'Mkay."

"Good I love you cutie."

"Lub you."

After we finish our snack, I drop Madeline off at a daycare, and she goes in on her own although I can see her pouting the whole time as she walks in

After we finish our snack, I drop Madeline off at a daycare, and she goes in on her own although I can see her pouting the whole time as she walks in. It turns into a smile though when Meredith's son comes up to her.

I rush upstairs to see that both Amber and Dylan are out. I check on both giving an unconscious Amber a kiss on the forehead. Yang is here shouting orders for two ORs to be ready and that she'll be overseeing both. As soon as she finishes shouting at an intern, she spots me and motions me to the closest on call room, kicking everyone in the room out.

 As soon as she finishes shouting at an intern, she spots me and motions me to the closest on call room, kicking everyone in the room out

"Thank god you're here," I tell her, knowing that Amber is in the best hands possible with her.

"Of course I'm here," she responds before heading off to prep for the two surgeries.