12: Names

Aria was dressed in what she could only hope was a nice outfit.

She pulled her skirt up slightly, then retouched her white shirt so that it was in place.

Aria had never had any female friends. She didn't particularly understand why. Isah would tell her it was because they were intimidated by her, afraid to be branded the 'less pretty friend of a Malik'. Aria thought that was complete crap.

So, going to her first ever party... alone, at that, was a thrilling, but exciting event.

She took another deep breath in, readjusted the bag  around her and stepped in.

Immediately, the smell of cigarettes choked her. She coughed, blinked quickly to stop her eyes from watering, and moved further into the club.

She spotted Vienna instantly, and smiled shyly as she came up to her and gave her a large grin.

She was wearing a blood red dress that reached her mid thigh. Aria recognised it as her mother's Summer Collection of three years ago.

Verruca gave her a sly smile.

"Hey Aria," she glanced behind her, as if waiting for someone else. Her expression dropped. Aria realised she was waiting for the Edens, and wondered why she assumed they'd be with Aria.

"Hi," She said, then opened her purse to take out the envelope. She held it, hoping Verruca liked the contents. "Happy birthday."

Vienna's eyes flashed with surprise, before she took the envelope and opened it.

"Oh... wow," she looked genuinely surprised, but also pleased. Aria licked her lips, nervous. She had gotten the girl gift cards for makeup, clothing and educational supplies, unsure of which one would be specifically her favourite. She looked up at Aria tentatively. "Thanks."

She shrugged, and glanced down at her hands, where the number Hero had written was still on her skin.

"Happy birthday." She said, nervously.

"Thanks... again. Come in," she said. "We're serving drinks."

Aria nodded again, pursed her lips then walked behind her to the bar, where she was glad the bartender didn't ask for an ID when Verruca ordered the drinks.

She slid over to her a drink before she walked off.

Aria took a seat and brought the bitter-sweet drink to her lips.

She downed it, and put the martini glass back down.

"Hey," someone said opposite her, and Aria glanced up to see who had spoken. A man older than her by at least 20 years sat with his elbow leaning against the counter. He tilted his head and gave her a small smirk. "Can I get you a drink?"

Unsure of what to respond, she shook her head. "I just drank." She said politely.

His smirk slipped slightly, then returned quickly, so much so that Aria wondered if she had imagined it.

He put his hand up and eyed her glass before getting her the exact same one again.

She pursed her lips, already haven forgotten what she had said to him. Did she say yes?

Verruca returned a moment later to her, and eyed the man.

"Who are you?" She asked unkindly. He slid over Aria's drink to her, as if Verruca hadn't even spoken.

She pursed her lips.

"I'm just trying to have a good time with your friend here." He said, as Aria put both hands on her glass and bought it up to her lips again.