r u mine?

after another encounter was over, lane found himself laying there next to her sleeping body wondering, 'what if i hear her say is are you mine?' oh, how he began to ponder upon that thought. over. and over. and over. until her asking that very question almost seemed like a reality to him. he stared at her gorgeous body and began to wonder, but enough was enough and lane began to pull himself together.

driving away for the scene, he knew he was not the first to have encountered such an enchantress. many have probably even encountered the same one he has. and lane came to the realization that he would not be the last. if he was the one she was cheating with, doesn't that mean he can just as easily be cheated on by her? he was the other man, and would always be. but those thoughts didn't stop him from only really wanting her in his life. the few moments he had with her meant everything to him.

so he took out his phone, and hovered his thumb over the keypad, deciding whether to text her or not. by this time she would still be asleep and would not get it until the morning. the thought of her answer would then marinate within lane for the night, thus his anxiety level would be even higher. none of that stopped him though. he carefully thought of what to write. crafting his simple text message as if it was a work of art. finally, after writing and deleting and rewriting and redeleting, he looked at his masterpiece- a measly seven characters long.

but, he remembered what his mother would always tell as a boy, 'KISS, the process of keeping it simple, stupid.' (though as a little boy this acronym would normally be accompanied by a smack on the back of the head)

so he stared at his phone a little more, as he was pulled over to the side of the highway.

it read- r u mine?

he didn't know if she would get the real meaning of the message but it was crafted in such a way that it did not spill the gallons of feelings he had, only a couple drops.

his thumb hovered over the send button and pressed it.

'so now it is out there and there's no going back.'

he blurted out only to emptiness in his car. he returned to the high way and as he drove his phone buzzed alerting him to a new text message and this time it was actually her. she responded as follows- you are mine when i ask you to be

and that was that, it brought no satisfaction upon him, only heartbreak. it was a slap to his face from reality, a gunshot to his heart from love, and a punch to the gut from life. the answer was what he feared most: rejection. so in a state of rage (probably not in the right state of mind), he responded to her.

he said- then we're through if i mean nothing to you. so in case i'm mistaken don't come crawling back to me.

only after he pressed send he realized what damage he had done to his own heart.

quickly and simply she responded- ok

and that's all she wrote.