one for the road

'just go to a club, it will make you feel better.'

'you just need to get drunk.'

'oh, well i saw this coming from the start.'

the stupid advice his friends gave him was now rushing through lane's mind. but it must not have been that stupid or lane would not be getting drunk at the bar of some night club. after his first beer, he knew he should probably have stopped; he didn't. the alcohol (as it does with the rest of the human race) made him feel better. it left him satisfied in his desire for company, it allowed him to unwind and relax.

but, three more beers in lane knew it was getting late, so he paid his tab and started to gather and rewind his unwinded body. as he heading for the exit it hit him. the sweet, angelic voice of his ex-lover, the one he was trying ever so hard to forget about. his mind could just make out his name over the loud, unnecessary music.

'lane, baby, is that you?'

lane whipped his head around to see amanda. she stood there, a little tipsy, in the shortest dress one could possibly wear. and to think she was even still in a "relationship." she continued on in her southern bell accent 'lane, i could never-ever-ever picture you in a club.'

'well, hear i am.' lane responded confidently, trying not to let his weak guard down around such an evil siren.

'you know i had the worst day at-'

'what do you want?' lane shook his head, tiredly cut her off, he didn't want to hear a long drawn out story about nothingness. that was her trap and he was trying his hardest not to fall into this misleading dungeon she created. he knew who she truly was. he knew nothing could come out of their relationship, despite how much he dreamed of it working out.

why can't we just dance, you could come back to my-'

'no,' lane cut her off again shaking his head. 'i told you we through.'

'but i will leave him, baby, this time i will.' lane knew all of this was pure bullshit. he was beginning to learn from his mistakes. she had said that line so many times before to make him stay, and he knew this time he wasn't going to let it work.

'no,' was all he said.

'but- but- but lane,' he could hear a slight quivering sob in her voice as if she was about to cry.

'maybe she wasn't tipsy,' lane chuckled to himself, 'she's just drunk.'

'i'm sorry but i can't put myself through this again.' lane told her as gently as possible.

'it's okay, i don't know what i was thinking.' her voice raised to a new found confidence level as if

it had all been a ploy to get back with him. 'but, baby could i just get one for the road.'

'no, amanda.' lane shook his head, 'no.' lane wondered off away from her, walking closer to the dance floor.